Author Topic: Replacement brake discs and pads  (Read 3479 times)

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
Replacement brake discs and pads
« on: 30 July 2021, 14:41 »
My 2017 Golf R needs some new pads and discs to the rear as the report from ATS said:

Front pads: 10mm
Front discs: 29mm
Rear pads: 3mm
Rear discs: 22mm

Just wondering whether I should just get the OEM ones or whether I should go for something else.

VW Robinsons in Peterborough have just quoted £450.56!!!

I did actually get a quote from ATS (as I was there to get my tyres changed) and they quoted £456 for EBC pads and discs on front and rear.

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: Replacement brake discs and pads
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2021, 14:53 »
According to the workshop manual on the MK7 I have, for the FNc-M42 (17”) discs fitted to the "R" and "PP" (310mm diameter), the new thickness of the disc is 22mm and the replacement thickness is 20mm

Also, the brake pad wear limit (not including the backplate) is listed as only 2mm (11mm from new), so maybe your pads need replacing, but unless the rear discs are badly scored or corroded, it doesn't (based on those figures) look like they need replacing ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2021, 15:15 »
According to the workshop manual on the MK7 I have, for the FNc-M42 (17”) discs fitted to the "R" and "PP" (310mm diameter), the new thickness of the disc is 22mm and the replacement thickness is 20mm

Also, the brake pad wear limit (not including the backplate) is listed as only 2mm (11mm from new), so maybe your pads need replacing, but unless the rear discs are badly scored or corroded, it doesn't (based on those figures) look like they need replacing ?

Interesting. So are you saying that I've possibly got no wear on the rear discs?

What does the manual say for the front disc thickness?

Thanks for those details, BTW, really useful.
« Last Edit: 30 July 2021, 16:07 by greencode »

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2021, 16:29 »
Front brakes 1Lj/1LM are listed at 340mm discs, max disc thickness 30mm, min disc thickness 27mm

Friction material minimum 2mm (as per rears), excluded the pad backplates.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2021, 16:34 »
Front brakes 1Lj/1LM are listed at 340mm discs, max disc thickness 30mm, min disc thickness 27mm

Friction material minimum 2mm (as per rears), excluded the pad backplates.

Thanks for this. I'll have a proper look at the discs when it stops raining!

Just had a quote from ATS for OEM rear discs and pads and they were £288.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2021, 17:59 »
Think ATS are 'creating work! Sootchucker figures are correct so if discs are not corroded or badly scored just replace the rear pads.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2021, 19:29 »
Think ATS are 'creating work! Sootchucker figures are correct so if discs are not corroded or badly scored just replace the rear pads.

These are my rear discs, very close up. I think it's the scoring that's the issue.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2021, 06:55 »
That does not look too good. The rear side of the disc is often worse for corrosion.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2021, 06:57 by joe6 »
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2021, 08:50 »
If there's plenty of meat left on the discs you could get them skimmed if you can do without the car for a few days.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2021, 10:09 »
When i was looking for a GTI, the majority of the rear discs looked like that, looking quite scored up.

The conclusion i came to is that the rear brakes take alot of use as your dragging them slightly as you pull away before the handbrake releases fully when parked on a slope for example, and when using cruise the car uses the rear brakes to moderate the speed.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.