Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2790469 times)

Offline Damo66

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1400 on: 16 November 2014, 20:34 »
Why do you get more tar in the winter than the summer, took ages to get it off today but on a random note my music started working via Bluetooth again
Beetle (1975)
MK2 Golf GTI 16V
MK3 Golf GTI
Corrado G60
MK3 VR6
Passat Sport PDI
MK4 Golf GTI PDI 150
MK5 GTDI 140
MK5 Golf GTI
MK6 Golf R
MK6 Golf GTD
MK6 Golf GTI Ed 35
Beetle Sport TDI
MK7 Golf GTD

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1401 on: 16 November 2014, 20:45 »
Just given my car a very thorough wash and a new coat of C2V3 as the rain wasn't beading any more. Noticed a few tiny lacquer scratches i'll buff out at some point and a few hardly noticeable stone chips. The car's bodywork is nice and slippery once more.

Ditto, did exactly the same today MH. Thorough wash, de-tarred, Iron-X'd and C2V3 applied. All in took about 5.5hrs. Knackered!  :grin:

Didn't really have any tar apart from a few tiny spots that came off easily, but on the ripply bit of the sill directly below where the back of the front door and the front of the back door meet is a bugger, like cavity wax (or something similar) collects there. No iron-ex for me, and couldn't be arsed to C2V3 the wheels (although they got a thorough clean) just the bodywork - about 2.5 hours for me.

Now it's lashing it down and the rain is just sheeting off the car.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline GTD_777

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1402 on: 17 November 2014, 11:02 »
I also detailed my car in preparation for winter. The car is exactly one year and 1 day old and its the third large detail its had.

A couple of pictures of the 6 odd hours of work. Tar and Iron removed (Carpro Trix) then clayed, polished (Werkstat Prime) and finally sealed with Werkstat Acrylic Jett. Wheels cleaned and sealed with Sonax Wheel sealant and some auto finesse satin tyre dressing applied.

One huge annoyance of mine is the fact the seals are all rubber and not covered by gloss plastic like on many other new cars such as the Audi A3 which means I had to do this to apply liberal amounts of Auto Finesse Dressle to try renovate them.  :sad:

Offline vance1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1403 on: 17 November 2014, 14:48 »
GTD_777 what do you think of the Werkstat products, I'm thinking of getting a kit for mine?
Thanks

Offline GTD_777

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1404 on: 17 November 2014, 15:29 »
I've used it for years now and I have always been impressed with it.

I wouldn't bother with the Glos as they say that it is more of a quick detailer. Ive never trusted quick detailing the car as I believe you are just smearing the crap all over the car.

Both the prime and Jett are really easy to apply and seem to have about 3-4 months of durability.  I tend to apply 4 layers of Jett just allow 30 minute cure time in between which allows you do to other bits like wheels, engine bay, exhaust etc.

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #1405 on: 17 November 2014, 17:46 »
Swapped my bridgestones for f1s, obviously will have to scrub them in first but let's see if they make a difference.
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #1406 on: 17 November 2014, 17:59 »
Swapped my bridgestones for f1s, obviously will have to scrub them in first but let's see if they make a difference.

About to do exactly the same. Does the car feel any different? I've been tempted to go for the Continental Sport Contact 5's though.
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #1407 on: 17 November 2014, 18:01 »
5 min drive home mate so can't tell, ride and noise seems the same tho. Will need a few journeys to work to get rid of the top layer and probably need to check the air pressures later too

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #1408 on: 17 November 2014, 18:25 »
And of course, par for the course with me, I've remembered it won't be a fair test on handling as I had the wheel alignment done at same time as shark said it was out and low and behold rear drivers side was 4 mm out, other three were fine like but I expected something as it was never done after lowering. Straight line off the mark should be comparable tho so we shall see.

Offline matty james

• Here all the time
« Reply #1409 on: 17 November 2014, 21:28 »
most of you have paid a monthly installment on it  :grin:
mk3 gti"s and vr6"s,present a silver mk4 anniversary on adjustable coilovers.