Author Topic: New tyres suggestions?  (Read 122117 times)

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: New tyres suggestions?
« Reply #430 on: 06 March 2021, 00:04 »
Camskill have an offer of £75 instant cashback when you buy 4 Michelin tyres.

I've just had delivered 4 Michelin PS4 tyres that worked out to £67 each. I placed the order at 10am and they were here just before midday the next day. New stock tyres too made 04 21

Can't fault the service!

Sadly doesn't apply to all Michelin PS4 tyres - 225/35 R19's not included  :sad:

That's a shame, no such problems for us cheapskates rocking 18's though 😎

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #431 on: 14 May 2021, 09:51 »
Has anyone gone from PS4 to PS4S? If so, does the 4S give better steering feel, feedback and precision than the 4?

At 28000kms my PS4 are a mm or so off the wear bars, so approaching replacement. As good as the grip and traction has been, I've been disappointed with the lack of steering feel and feedback in the PS4. Looking at either Goodyear F1AS5, or maybe PS4S? A bit wary of the 4S after the PS4, though. Cheers
« Last Edit: 14 May 2021, 09:53 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #432 on: 14 May 2021, 10:05 »
Have you watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=176LXZFUucc&t=6s

(It came up on the Mk8 board here but its equally applicable I suggest)

He says the PS4S is really good except for the steering feel - sounds like a similar comment to you on the PS4!

The review does suggest some other possibilities though, but.... I think given the downsides of the other two, I'd take some steering feel loss vs the other problems. F1's too hard riding, new BS Sports dont like the cold...

I had PS4's on both of my Mk7's and really liked them - or at least liked them more than any other I tried.

« Last Edit: 14 May 2021, 10:14 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #433 on: 14 May 2021, 10:14 »
I really like the PS4S' I have on the mk7 at the minute, I'll probably try Continental Sport Contact 6's next though.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #434 on: 14 May 2021, 10:23 »
Have you watched this:

(It came up on the Mk8 board here but its equally applicable I suggest)

He says the PS4S is really good except for the steering feel - sounds like a similar comment to you on the PS4!

The review does suggest some other possibilities though, but.... I think given the downsides of the other two, I'd take some steering feel loss vs the other problems. F1's too hard riding, new BS Sports dont like the cold...

I had PS4's on both of my Mk7's and really liked them - or at least liked them more than any other I tried.

drive the Bridgestones until they are warmed up slightly. Never understood the complaints about them as when they have a bit of heat in them they are a good tyre (S001s). I wonder if the same people that complained about them were ragging the car from cold too instead of letting the engine warm up a bit 🤷‍♂️.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #435 on: 14 May 2021, 11:00 »
I'd be less worried to be honest about the need to warm up with the BS Sports vs his actual main negative comment:

You can warm tyres up for sure, you can't stop the rain...this is the UK, we get a fair amount of rain.

At the start of the video he talks about how all tyres are compromise - this is totally true.

You need to pick a tyre for the use you will get out of it. I suggest something that can handle rain is probably more important than lap times on a dry test track in Spain.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #436 on: 14 May 2021, 11:19 »
Have you watched this:

Yes, have poured over that excellent video, thanks Fred. I love his reviews.

I might revisit the Conti...?
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #437 on: 14 May 2021, 11:24 »
When talking about tyre use 97% - 99% of someones driving will under 50mph, the bridgestone have a firm ride on 18's and aren't the best for cabin noise.

Pirelli P-Zero's are some of the comfiest tyre's I've driven on but they are still outclassed by my PS4S'. I found going to 19's far more comfortable than 18's with bridgestones s001's
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #438 on: 14 May 2021, 16:40 »
Running p zero  on my gti performance  at the present 19 inch   Only one tyre needs replaced   So probably put Pirelli back on just to keep all the same but fellow who owns the local tyre place I use trying to get me to put the continental s on. Says they are a great tyre

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #439 on: 14 May 2021, 20:53 »
Any deals on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 tyres ??  :smiley:

Also is anyone able to tell me if I'm ok just getting 2 for the front wheels and not 4? As the tyres on the back are fine.
New to the tyre game as previous cars were less powerful so I got away with any tyres, and garage I bought car from put cheap 'CatchPower' tyres on my GTi which spin too easily
« Last Edit: 14 May 2021, 21:09 by Lordie »