Author Topic: Oh deer  (Read 4553 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Oh deer
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2024, 14:51 »
Have to agree that's an insurance job unfortunately. Although maybe SRGTD can way in a bit more here, what are the odds of the car getting categorised with the recent hit to the car market?

Also I'd definitely check the headlights, think they're £1,200 a pop so any cracks would make a bit impact to self repair cost.

More than happy to weigh in if I can, but I’m not sure I understand the question. By categorised, do you mean @oryx3dr’s car possibly being written off by the insurance company as a Cat ‘N’ write off? (Cat ‘N’ = repairable with only cosmetic, non-structural damage, but cost of repairs makes it uneconomic to repair).

If so, then AFAIK most insurance companies work to a ‘repair costs to car value’ ratio of 50-60% for insurance write off purposes. Looking at the damage to @oryx3dr’s car, I’d be surprised if repair costs would run to 50-60% of the car’s value even allowing for falling used car values. That’s just my opinion though, and I don’t have any knowledge of the cost of parts / labour and materials that would be needed for repairs.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 27 February 2024, 20:57 »
@SRGTD it was what I meant. I've seen many cars get categorised for very minor damage, even with strong values. Namely an E46 M3 with similar front end hit but with less damage than @oryx3dr’s car.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 28 February 2024, 10:18 »
I spoke to my local VW and they indicated that I could be looking at around £4,000 if they were to do the work, this was based entirely on the pictures that I provided but seems absolutely ludicrous to me. So I've decided to go down the insurance route purely for simplicities sake. I managed to get the car back to me yesterday and it really doesn't look that bad but I just want it back on the road as soon as I can so seems the easiest and most cost efficient way.

Thank you everyone for your help and insight though, very much appreciated! Hopefully won't be too long until it's all sorted  :cry:
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 28 February 2024, 11:02 »
You'll be surprised quite how much that costs to repair.

The 4k doesn't sound unlikely tbh.

The bumper alone will probably cost upwards of 1500 quid once its been sprayed...

I'd use your insurance - sure your premiums will go up for 5 years, but I doubt if the increase over that time will amount to what this is likely to cost to fix.

Protected no claims btw won't help you much - the discount to the premium will still be applied but the actual claim will still be factored into the premium.

Its a pain in the butt and I feel for you  :cry:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 28 February 2024, 13:18 »

Protected no claims btw won't help you much - the discount to the premium will still be applied but the actual claim will still be factored into the premium.

If you don't have protected NCD the claim is taken into account AND you lose two years of no claims.  There is a benefit to it, but I take your point that it needs to be weighed up against the cost each year.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 12 March 2024, 19:32 »
Car has been with the insurance provided bodyshop for 2 weeks now and still 0 progress has been made. Repairs have been authorised over a week ago yet they claim to 'still be waiting for parts'. Chased them on this several times and are apparently due in either tomorrow or Thursday at the LATEST.

What a bloody nuisance. Given an MG3 as a courtesy car and I can honestly say it's the biggest heap of scrap I've ever sat in. I'd list everything wrong with it but it'd be easier to tell you what's right with it... nothing. Nothing is right with it.

Hopefully once parts arrive it shouldn't take too many hours to get it back on the road, has to be sent offsite for a radar recalibration for a day. Fingers crossed it should be returned by next week.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 13 March 2024, 09:03 »
Was thinking of you on Sunday as I passed a newly killed deer lying on the hard shoulder of slip road to the M9.

I try to put the risk of deer and other drivers to the back of my mind and get on with enjoying my GTI but there is no doubt we all drive around “on a wing and a prayer” as far as accidents are concerned.

Your experience with the MG is interesting. So many of them around.

How to defile the legacy of a once iconic name!
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 13 March 2024, 18:08 »
Not much chance of Golf owners defecting to MG3’s then?! 😁

Hopefully the bodyshop get their arses in gear.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 13 March 2024, 19:36 »
Hit a deer a couple of years ago in my GTi. Luckily it was mainly cosmetic damage that I managed to rectify via eBay.

Had my second deer on the way home from a night shift last week. Was in the Up! this time though. There was a loud bang as it ran into the side of the car and I was expecting a huge dent. Checked later in the day and all there was was a chip on the rear bumper and a tooth in the tyre wall!

Hope you get it sorted soon

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 13 March 2024, 19:47 »
Was thinking of you on Sunday as I passed a newly killed deer lying on the hard shoulder of slip road to the M9.

I try to put the risk of deer and other drivers to the back of my mind and get on with enjoying my GTI but there is no doubt we all drive around “on a wing and a prayer” as far as accidents are concerned.

Your experience with the MG is interesting. So many of them around.

How to defile the legacy of a once iconic name!
Thankfully I have an alibi for Sunday so I can't be held accountable for that one  :grin:
Sold - 2019 Up GTI