Author Topic: Running costs  (Read 13395 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Running costs
« Reply #60 on: 09 January 2019, 09:40 »
To make your choice even harder, here's a couple of threads on VWROC about the R (and some GTI comments) with 19's and DCC

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/13584-dcc-worth-the-money/
https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/27021-dcc-on-75r/

As per my previous post though, after testing driving both the R does ride ever so slightly harder than the GTI.

:whistle: :smiley:
« Last Edit: 09 January 2019, 09:46 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #61 on: 09 January 2019, 09:43 »
18's mate. With the state of the roads these days I'd avoid 19's just because they will buckle - DCC or no DCC.

But 18 Parkers... 🤮🤮🤮
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #62 on: 09 January 2019, 09:46 »
Mine is on 19s without DCC and I think the ride is really good. My previous car, a 2003 Audi A4 on 17s wasn't as good. I haven't driven around Norwich but I have around west Norfolk and find the roads excellent, ride no problem at all. Having said that 1. you're spending £30k+ so presumably want to be ecstatic not just happy so surely another £800 isn't going to kill you but 2. don't change the colour, that's what you'll see everytime you look at your car and will make you happy, regardless of any fancy suspension! :whistle: :rolleyes: :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #63 on: 09 January 2019, 09:51 »
18's mate. With the state of the roads these days I'd avoid 19's just because they will buckle - DCC or no DCC.

But 18 Parkers... 🤮🤮🤮

There is that of course and I am in agreement on that!

I'm the dirty boy running a GTD, so lovely Cadiz for me :D

Seriously, I'd avoid 19's - isn't there another 18 option for GTI's? My next Golf will be a GTI...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #64 on: 09 January 2019, 09:51 »
Mine is on 19s without DCC and I think the ride is really good. My previous car, a 2003 Audi A4 on 17s wasn't as good. I haven't driven around Norwich but I have around west Norfolk and find the roads excellent, ride no problem at all. Having said that 1. you're spending £30k+ so presumably want to be ecstatic not just happy so surely another £800 isn't going to kill you but 2. don't change the colour, that's what you'll see everytime you look at your car and will make you happy, regardless of any fancy suspension! :whistle: :rolleyes: :laugh:

Yeah the roads around here are not too bad to be honest. Despite the rest of the country assuming we have dirt tracks and only recently acquired electricity 😬
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #65 on: 09 January 2019, 09:53 »

But 18 Parkers... 🤮🤮🤮

Seriously, I'd avoid 19's - isn't there another 18 option for GTI's? My next Golf will be a GTI...

Nope. It’s Parkers or a choice of 3 19s. I don’t know why they changed the standard 18s on the mk7, I actually quite liked those even though the style was similar.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #66 on: 09 January 2019, 09:59 »

But 18 Parkers... 🤮🤮🤮

Nope. It’s Parkers or a choice of 3 19s. I don’t know why they changed the standard 18s on the mk7, I actually quite liked those even though the style was similar.

18 inch Seville's should be available. Same as the GTD wheels but in graphite with a red band around the edge instead of diamond cut.

Fred - are you running Cadiz from the R?
7.5 GTD

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #67 on: 09 January 2019, 10:00 »

But 18 Parkers... 🤮🤮🤮

18 inch Seville's should be available. Same as the GTD wheels but in graphite with a red band around the edge instead of diamond cut.

Ah yes. Don’t like those. Look too chavvy for my tastes.

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #68 on: 09 January 2019, 10:11 »
Having said that, your second point is very valid. DCC allows the driver to adjust the damper flow valve which in turn changes the damping properties, so you get lots of suspension options to set the car up how you want depending on your driving conditions. If you do lots of miles and/or want/need comfort, the DCC really is a great option. The difference between Comfort and Sport modes on mine is remarkable, especially on the terrible London roads, so I can just sit back and relax without having to worry about being juddered around by lumps, bumps, potholes etc. :)

This^^^. I would have gone without some of my other options just to have DCC if money had been really tight.
Confess that mine remains in comfort, but on the odd occasions I change to normal or sport out of curiosity, I switch back pretty quickly unless the road surface is snooker table smooth. It just feels too uncomfortable for me, though in truth it's probably much better than things like XR3's, etc. that I drove in the 80's.

SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #69 on: 09 January 2019, 10:31 »

You know I thought Seville and typed Cadiz... no, Seville is what I have.

And yes, you can get Seville with the red band for the GTI.... they aren't expensive and I'd chose those for my GTI if I ordered - apart from anything else, they aren't bloody diamond cut!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC