Author Topic: Paint on wing to a-pillar edge + door post  (Read 19680 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
 :shocked: I guess this shows where VW are saving money.

Did you get it sorted in the end.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
I was told this is normal and they are all like this.  :shocked:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
The usual stock/crap reply from Vankerwagen. 'Ve have vays to make you go crazy'.
They are experts as p!ss takers and super wainkers technically IM0. :angry:

« Last Edit: 07 October 2010, 12:35 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
I was told this is normal and they are all like this.  :shocked:

Shocking really for a new car.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
I read on here the new ones the engine bay is now only in a gray primer matt type finish.  :undecided:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
I read on here the new ones the engine bay is now only in a gray primer matt type finish.  :undecided:

Bad move really, Mercedes tried saving money by not painting certain areas and look what happened with the rust issues.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Being really cynical here: it seems by the time 2011 cars roll off the production line, they'll come in an undercoat only. This should reduce VW's colour range drastically.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Bad move really, Mercedes tried saving money by not painting certain areas and look what happened with the rust issues.
It is painted just sad to say not body colour like i would have expected. Mk5's are similar and seem to not be rusting in the main from the ones i have seen. A place up from ours has stripped an early mk5 recently for parts so i went to have a nose round it and once you start digging, removing wings etc etc its 99.5% similar paint finish/type wise to how they have done the mk6.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2010, 12:11 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Adam

• Forum addict

+1 The Mercedes next door is a mess. Wonder if this will happen to the MK6?

Down Hill From Here.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot

+1 The Mercedes next door is a mess. Wonder if this will happen to the MK6?

A good friend of mine had a C class that at 2 years old needed both front wings, a crossmember and bootlid.

He got lucky in seeing the old wings when they were removed, most of the back was just primered metal, yes they saved money on painting costs but that was soon eaten up in warranty.

Dad has just got a 09 plate Ford (sorry to use the word) and that is fully painted from what I can see including under the bonnet, if Ford can manage it makes you wonder why VW don't, considering the cost of the car new and the market it is aimed at.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2010, 09:46 by Wayne »