Author Topic: Paint on wing to a-pillar edge + door post  (Read 19678 times)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Snoops:
I am 100% in agreement with you. It is not right. I, myself, would not and could not accept this.
What would I do? I would use the Warranty and get these bits fixed by VW. It is not a huge job and I am sure a good sprayer would sort this easily. The car would be in the bodyshop for just 2 to 3 days.
Worth it, especially as this is causing you unnecessary distress.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
I have an ex-painter in the family but his eyes have gone  :grin: but he was basically saying a dealer/bodyshop would probably just titi-vate it up or they may make the wings/doors worse trying to blend it in, he said he would not let them do it if it was his, he would just put up with it or do a quick flash with a can down that hole / back of wings or touch it up with a pen to help hide it. Rather than risk the v.good finish on the rest of the wing.
Or reject it and take a risk of getting a new one that could be worse and even have orange peal finish on the panels.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2010, 20:32 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
---do a quick flash with a can down that hole / back of wings or touch it up with a pen to help hind it.

That is what I meant. Do the minimum. Less is more in this case.
A re-spray would be a disaster. Been there. It was a mess.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Or reject it and take a risk of getting a new one that could be worse and even have orange peal finish on the panels.

You mean like this?!
In real life this looks as smooth as glass but I happened to be taking a picture of a ding (which is now sorted) and this part was taken out of focus but it shows the extent of orange peel the golf suffers. 

Thankfully though it is nothing like that in reality.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Yes, they do seem to suffer badly, especially the hatch. Mine luckly has damb good paint finish i was suprised how good. Well apart from the grey bits :grin:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Just don't take any out of focus pictures and you'll be fine  :laugh:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline VeeDubDan

• GTI forum regular
Just thinking out loud, but could your car have been damaged and repaired prior to delivery?  It's not uncommon for a car to be damaged in transit and repaired without the new owner being told.  Of course if the repairs (new wing?) haven't been done to the highest standard that might explain why the paint isn't fully reaching the edge of the panels.

Is it just one wing that is the issue or are there a few panels causing concern?

Might be be worth trying to get a shot of a paint thickness gauge.  Any good professional detailer will have one and would be able to give guidance on the correct thickness of paint on a non repainted car.
18 Golf R Estate, 08 GTI and 03 GTI

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Both front wings the drivers is worse than the passengers. Most my photos are of the better one :wink:

The thing is mine are quite bad but from loooking at other mk6 and mk5's they all suffer it to a degree just mines nearly the worst ive seen.

Must admit when i first spotted the top of the wings join with the a-pillar and the rear of the wing in the door shut area i did think it had been badly repaired!
That was until i got too see the state of others at the dealers  :shocked: to then spot that the mk5 suffers the a-pillar join too back to 2005 was a shocker that no one had ever pointed it out i found astounding!
« Last Edit: 08 April 2010, 17:49 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Gazdebaz

• Here all the time
  • Lovin it.
Gent's, a few of us have noticed the orange peel paintwork, have a look at this past topic.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=134513.0
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Winter Pack, Lux Pack, RCD510+dynaudio, Park Assist with Camera, Sunroof, Cruise, Mud Guards & FT indicator.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
A couple more from my car today since it stopped raining for a change.
Im sure after seeing other cars mine not the only one come on guys get your cameras out.  :grin:

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI