Author Topic: making your own boot build  (Read 11301 times)

Offline linz

• I live here
  • vee-dub
Re: making your own boot build
« Reply #30 on: 24 March 2008, 21:54 »
na the cars not even on the road so hasent had her repray an that plus are weather here has been proper crap so i will be attempting this in the summer :)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
« Reply #31 on: 09 April 2008, 18:03 »
Heres all the boot builds I have done, well, I say boot builds - just speakers in the boot.

First install

But I used to carry passengers all the time, so the weight wasn't practical. Although it was only 6" deep, had 1x12" sub and 1x8" sub and two 5" mids. It was covered in OEM carpet and looked pretty ordinary (which is what I wanted). Made out of 12mm MDF. Sold on eBay.

Second install

It was a 12" sub with a basic 100w amp. Sold to a mate.

Third install

Two 12" subs in a 2 chamber sealed MDF box (homemade again) covered in Vinyl leather.

It kinda uses more bootspace, but has better volume for each sub (2.5cuF) and is completely air tight and very sturdy. Plus I tuned it to the frequency I wanted. It doesn't fit in the boot of the Golf, plus having 2 subs is silly - only used them because I got them cheap.

Fourth install

Wheel arch build so I could still have bootspace and get to the spare wheel.

Offline linz

• I live here
  • vee-dub
« Reply #32 on: 09 April 2008, 18:34 »
ah see im goin extreme dont want simple plain and borin

im gonna take my spare wheels out n e way and may use it to house my amp :)

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #33 on: 09 April 2008, 19:58 »

aint that illegal?

Offline linz

• I live here
  • vee-dub
« Reply #34 on: 09 April 2008, 22:22 »

aint that illegal?

yh i guess but lets be honest my spare is like a 16 so when i have 19's wont be legal n e way

all my previous cars have never had one and i have never had a problem

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #35 on: 10 April 2008, 08:27 »
It's not illegal to not have a spare. Lots of cars come from the factory without spare wheels...(mine doesn't have a spare)

The law states if you carry a spare it must be roadowrthy/legal in terms of tread and inflation etc, but having one isn't a legal or MOT test requirement.

Linz, carrying a 16" wheel when you're running on 19's isn't a legal requirement either - again, as long as the tyre has legal tread and is correctly inflated it doesn't matter what the rim size is. Again, lots of cars run space saver spares, which are vastly different in size from the normal rims.

If you're going to ditch your spare I suggest you invest in a tyre weld/inflation kit. Ditching the weight and creating space will seem like a great idea until you get a flat on the M1 at 2 in the morning in the pi**ing rain.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline linz

• I live here
  • vee-dub
« Reply #36 on: 10 April 2008, 21:37 »
It's not illegal to not have a spare. Lots of cars come from the factory without spare wheels...(mine doesn't have a spare)

The law states if you carry a spare it must be roadowrthy/legal in terms of tread and inflation etc, but having one isn't a legal or MOT test requirement.

Linz, carrying a 16" wheel when you're running on 19's isn't a legal requirement either - again, as long as the tyre has legal tread and is correctly inflated it doesn't matter what the rim size is. Again, lots of cars run space saver spares, which are vastly different in size from the normal rims.

If you're going to ditch your spare I suggest you invest in a tyre weld/inflation kit. Ditching the weight and creating space will seem like a great idea until you get a flat on the M1 at 2 in the morning in the pi**ing rain.

what i meant was if i had to use spare and driving round with 3 19's and a 16 lol

yh i was thinking of getting one of them anyway lol

Offline Gabber-Baby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 11 April 2008, 13:22 »
Im in the same situation as you Linz, contemplating on whether to take the spare out for my boot build, ive been advised not to.

Im lucky enough to have a boyfriend who does this sort of stuff for a living and he's using MDF to make a hinged latch to get to to the spare. Id rather not have it but im keeping out of the design and im just letting him get on with it.

Ive got 2 12" 400W RMS Pioneer subs to go in, with a 800W RMS JBL power amp with a power cap, I was going to get the boot build fibre glassed but it's hassle and Im impatient!  :grin: Ive got a load of red vinyl "leather" to cover the bootbuild and some white neons just to chav it up a bit  :smug:

We've measured it all and 2 subs, amp and the power cap all fit nicely in my mk3 boot, was gonna build the enclosures for the subs from scratch but I might just buy 2 sealed sub boxes to save time. Im having a sub either side of the boot facing diagonally inwards with the power cap in between. The amp is just gonna be bolted to the hinged latch in the middle, I did want to sink the amp in because its got a perspex front where you can see all the wiring inside but I dont know how id go about that.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2008, 13:29 by Gabber-Baby »

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
« Reply #38 on: 11 April 2008, 16:21 »
Why are you using a cap, they're a little pointless, monies better spent on an uprated alt or battery.

Offline Gabber-Baby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #39 on: 11 April 2008, 18:46 »
Why are you using a cap, they're a little pointless, monies better spent on an uprated alt or battery.

Yeah I dunno, alot of people have said that. It came with the amp, there's no harm in having it in there though is there? People have said they drain more power but then why do people have them in that case?
« Last Edit: 11 April 2008, 18:49 by Gabber-Baby »