Author Topic: Decals and wheel centre cap sizes  (Read 1882 times)

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
Decals and wheel centre cap sizes
« on: 04 November 2023, 16:30 »
Really like the centre caps with the red pinstripe, but not enough to spend £80+ on the genuine replacements, so looking at decals to fit and see how I feel. Anyone used EZ Mods? They're cheap and have free delivery, but are they cheap for a reason? £6.99 compared to $21+shipping from Badgeskins.
https://www.ezmods.co/product-page/ezm-ring-decals-x-4-for-vw-65mm-wheel-caps

Secondly, what are the centre cap sizes for 18" Santiagos? I've measured 55mm inner and 65mm outer for the pinstripe area, so guessing these linked would fit?
« Last Edit: 04 November 2023, 20:45 by jh_97 »
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline Lima29

• Just got here
Re: Decals and wheel centre cap sizes
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2023, 17:32 »
I don’t post on here often but visit regularly.

I’ve had a set of these on my GTI for the last 2 - 2 1/2 years, they’re still stuck on there - no sign of any peeling or fading. The car regularly has a pressure washer over it as well.

For the price, I’d say go for it.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2023, 18:39 »
Like wise with Lima I put EZM decals on the badges of my old GTD and they're still on it not a sign of peeling either nearly 4 years later.

18 inch Santiagos aren't a OEM wheel, could you post a picture of your alloys for reference?

It'll be the outer diameter you need for them.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2023, 20:44 »
Thanks both, will go for it then!

I meant to type Seville...   :rolleyes: They're the ones with the red pinstripe round the rim from factory, thankfully the previous owner had em resprayed

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2023, 23:01 »
I’ve had a set of these on my GTI for the last 2 - 2 1/2 years.

Ordered last week and they arrived over the weekend whilst I was away. Wondering if you have any advice on applying them? Looking online and seems you need to remove the wheel completely to take the centre caps off without risking chipping the alloy - is this necessary as I can't be bothered to do that if I can help it... Would ideally just apply them on the car as is, but don't have a garage so not gonna be easy to use a hair dryer to heat them up.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2023, 00:19 »
Frequently you can pull a wheel centre out by using a sucker or a suction cup. They can be bought on Amazon and are sold for sticking to glass or shower doors to hang objects. The type with suction cups you stick by pulling the lever/arm on them don’t work. The type that you wet and stick down seem to work better. They don’t work on all centres but more often than not they do and save risking damage or the bother of taking the wheel off. They only cost a couple of pounds. I bought them from Amazon The two types I have are 40mm, called Besocute and the others are 20mm round suction cups. Usually one of the two work better on a particular centre and it’s not obvious why. If you have Prime they are next day delivery. I have used them on oem VW and non oem centres too. Whatever surface you apply the centres on, be sure to wipe it with Isopropyl alcohol first to degrease it. You can buy blank plastic centre caps on eBay and put the stickers on those. They work well and save the originals.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2023, 00:38 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 15 November 2023, 07:49 »
Is the central part of the decal clear or has it a solid VW image and background?
I’m wondering if it blocks out the original cap background underneath and if so, does the new graphic look as good?
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 15 November 2023, 08:12 »
Is the central part of the decal clear or has it a solid VW image and background?
I’m wondering if it blocks out the original cap background underneath and if so, does the new graphic look as good?

It's literally just the coloured pinstripe, I can post a pic tonight as I've not had chance to apply them yet. It's quite a thick ring that should fill the whole area outside the VW logo, so much thicker than the pinstripe on the VW replacement caps from the TCR. I'm tempted to try and reduce the thickness before I apply. Wonder if Lima29 or willni have any pics of their cars with them on?

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2023, 17:57 »
Printed off some red rings to the same dimensions as the decals and placed on the caps to see how they'd look (didn't get the colour quite right as they're a big lighter than the tornado red decals. They're a bit too thick for me I think, prefer the official TCR caps. Let me know if you'd be interested in the decals I have.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 30 November 2023, 22:25 »
Thanks JH for the offer. I think I agree with you on the decals and TCR caps.
But thanks again for the kind thought.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)