Author Topic: Cracked sunroof surround  (Read 55702 times)

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Cracked sunroof surround
« Reply #240 on: 09 March 2023, 19:07 »
Hello All,

My first post on the forum, as up ‘til now all my questions have been answered in all the threads on the forum.

I picked up my 69 plate in September with 3 months of the 3 year manufacturer warranty remaining, and after getting through the winter with no crack I thought I’d be clear of the issue!

Low and behold the cold snap over the 1st week in February, and a crack appeared on the passenger side, with the car 10 weeks out of its 3 year manufacturer warranty (6% over).

Initially the local dealer would not progress a claim, advising I speak to VW Customer Services UK, who advised they could not progress without an investigation. Booked the car in with the local dealer (2nd person I’ve dealt with has been so helpful), and VW will cover the cost of the part, and I’m expected to cover the labour. Car is 6% outside of warranty so shall be progressing VW to also cover the labour, and shall look into the trading standards when something “… is just outside of the warranty…”.

The local dealer is then arranging a quote from a coachworks shop for the surround replacement, which to me doesn’t seem right, or more the local dealer has no experience in replacing a surround.

The forum post https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cracked-sunroof-surround.414743/ contains a technical bulletin https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10122113-9999.pdf for sunroof work, so VW service centres should be able to carry out the repair?

I might call around other dealers service centres in the area too see what they say.

My other concern is, is this going to be a 3 year cost, as the surround suffers torsional forces from body roll, as well and expansion and contraction during cold/hot spells...

Did you not buy from VW if so it should come with a two year used approved warranty.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #241 on: 09 March 2023, 19:35 »
Did you not buy from VW if so it should come with a two year used approved warranty.

VW’s Approved Used warranty is an insurance product that essentially covers electrical and mechanical components against failure. As with all insurance products there are exclusions, one of which is ‘all bodywork’ (page 13).

The definition of bodywork in the warranty booklet (page 7) is;
‘all bodywork, paintwork, body component (including encased aerials, gas struts, sunroof assemblies, soft top roofs, and seat frames, strikers, hinges or any component which may require adjustment from time to time).’

So, as sunroof assemblies fall within the definition of bodywork and bodywork’s excluded, there’s no cover for sunroofs under the VW’s Approved Used warranty.

Link to the current VW’s Approved Used warranty booklet;
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/gb/downloads/brochures/used-cars/approved-used-benefits/Used_Car_Warranty_Booklet_November_22.pdf

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #242 on: 09 March 2023, 19:52 »

VW’s Approved Used warranty is an insurance product that essentially covers electrical and mechanical components against failure. As with all insurance products there are exclusions, one of which is ‘all bodywork’ (page 13).

The definition of bodywork in the warranty booklet (page 7) is;
‘all bodywork, paintwork, body component (including encased aerials, gas struts, sunroof assemblies, soft top roofs, and seat frames, strikers, hinges or any component which may require adjustment from time to time).’

So, as sunroof assemblies fall within the definition of bodywork and bodywork’s excluded, there’s no cover for sunroofs under the VW’s Approved Used warranty.

Link to the current VW’s Approved Used warranty booklet;
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/gb/downloads/brochures/used-cars/approved-used-benefits/Used_Car_Warranty_Booklet_November_22.pdf

Bummer.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #243 on: 29 March 2023, 15:27 »
Welcome to the forum dilligolf.

If you see my post on the previous page, VW are covering the part cost and I'm paying for the labour. Mine was 5 months OOW, and is booked in for 28 March for 2 days. My local dealer didn't bother trying via the All in warranty route. They went straight to VW. Good luck in getting it resolved.

My car went in yesterday for the replacement surround and I collected it an hour ago. The work was done offsite by my local dealer's own bodyshop(Peter Cooper), as, out driving yesterday, I saw my car go past on other side of road, and I rang to query where it was going!
 The total bill was £1408 and I paid £303 towards it for the labour-3.2 hours @£79ph+ VAT. The surround, adhesive, primer, etc was £921 exc VAT. The new surround is warranteed for 2 years.
Pure White MY 2020 GTI TCR 19" Reifnitz with DCC, Pan Roof and Climate Windscreen

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #244 on: 29 March 2023, 17:06 »
Good you have it sorted, funboxster. Happy with the job?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #245 on: 29 March 2023, 17:09 »
Yes thanks, Watts. The dealer was very helpful and provided a courtesy car. Ask me in 3 years, if it goes again! Hopefully, it's been done properly now.
Pure White MY 2020 GTI TCR 19" Reifnitz with DCC, Pan Roof and Climate Windscreen

Offline dilligolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #246 on: 21 June 2023, 07:21 »
Repair update.

Car was with the bodyshop for a couple of weeks but I think the repair only took 2 days.

£550 later and cant tell its been replaced.

Off topic was £215 the week before to replace a new tyre with a sidewall bulge following a big pothole.

Expansive month  :huh: !