Author Topic: sh!t in fuel tank, how do i clean it out?????  (Read 960 times)

2l_16v

sh!t in fuel tank, how do i clean it out?????
« on: 09 April 2006, 00:57 »
had a problem with my brothers mk1 gti tank, basically the filler neck had corroded, the previous owner had replaced it but left most of the fine metal sh!t in the tank.

had all manor of problems with the car, so took the tank off to clean, got most of the sh!t out but cant seem to compleatly empty the tank of fuel. I want to get the pressure washer in and fill/empty it till its all clean but can compleatly dry the tank afterwards.......

anyone done this, got any tips, would really appreciate it.

thanks,

Offline wilson

• Here all the time
Re: sh!t in fuel tank, how do i clean it out?????
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2006, 10:26 »
I've heard of people using magnets to get the crap out without actually removing the tank

Offline x5pea

• GTI forum regular
  • www.mk1golf.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2006, 20:23 »
try and get a round magnet with a hole in the middle, similar to the ones on the back of a speaker

if you tie a bit thick string round it you should be able to pop it into the tank and get the rust out...

Otherwise remove the tank, and rinse it out with petrol, (NOT WATER), but its a big job. You can slpit the tank and reseal it but in past experiance its very hard to regain the seal. ive seen new tanks for around £100 so its not an expensive fix, and not difficult just time consuming

03 BMW X5 - Daily Runner
83 Mk1 GTi - Project car

www.mk1golf.co.uk

tomo320

« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2006, 23:36 »
as a 'cheapo' fix  :shocked: if the tank aint corroded its more likely to be water in the fuel.  if the tank aint rotten might be worth getting a new fuel filler neck (as u said).  the metal will stick in the bottom of the tank unless you run it low its more likely to be the water thats the problem.  the tanks will only flush properly one way if you decide to remove it.  the 'sh!te' wouldnt get as far as your engine anyhow.  if u think theres a blockage between the pump and the engine use the old foot pump to clear the lines. if u have got water in the system will be a beggar to clear :undecided: but goes away eventually.  i wouldnt buy a new tank unless yours has holes in it

Offline mexicorich

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2006, 20:03 »
Have you still got the tank out? Just keep rinsing with fresh petrol