Author Topic: Sports Air filter do they work?  (Read 7693 times)

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
Re:Sports Air filter do they work?
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2003, 12:26 »
you nonces that site is just a bloody big advert!!

V5 Beetle owner. I'm just here for the misfire threads....

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2003, 12:37 »

It will make the noise louder at the top end of your revs therefore you go faster so it sounds louder.

Nice one, lol, I'm off to take my performane exhaust off 'cos it will be really loud then, and the car should fly ;D
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 14 November 2003, 12:59 »
no no silly billy you have it the wrong way round - coz it sounds louder at top ends you will go faster so it sounds louder sorry but your car won't actually have a higher bhp. ;D

Tho golfvr6 will prob say that if you add some furry dice you'll add an extra 10bhp  :P and if you drill a hole in these dice the air can flow thro rather than round so that will add ANOTHER 10 bhp

golfvr6

« Reply #13 on: 14 November 2003, 13:37 »
Get over it love, a sports filter and exhaust will add extra BHP, generally about 10%. OK its not a lot but not bad for the money, saying it does nothing but just noise is well bullsh!t. Physics? engines breathe, better breathing, extra power and torque. Its not hard.

Offline Leejaydoob

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 14 November 2003, 13:52 »
. Physics? engines breathe, better breathing, extra power and torque. Its not hard.

i got to agree with vr6 here
also if it had no affect why do insurance companies charge higher premiums for cars with non standard intake/exhaust systems?

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2003, 14:14 »
wanna talk to me bout physics? go ahead - i've done a degree in physics. You lot are an advertisers dream - beleive all the hype!

The reason it adds to your insurance is coz the type of peeps to add it to their car are the kind who drive  faster (boy racers). This isn't my opinion its wat the insurance companies go by.

Offline Maltloaf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2003, 14:16 »
I ain't no expert, but surely the injectors provide a measured amount of fuel. Adding more air weakens the mixture causing the engine to run lean.  ???

Unless the ECU can detect the increase in air flow then it might be doing more damage than increasing performance. I have seen a couple of cars which have bolt on induction kits and it just destroyed the sparkplugs, after a 1000 miles or so.

:-\

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 14 November 2003, 14:24 »
here here!

golfvr6

« Reply #18 on: 14 November 2003, 15:18 »
I ain't no expert, but surely the injectors provide a measured amount of fuel. Adding more air weakens the mixture causing the engine to run lean.  ???

Unless the ECU can detect the increase in air flow then it might be doing more damage than increasing performance. I have seen a couple of cars which have bolt on induction kits and it just destroyed the sparkplugs, after a 1000 miles or so.

:-\

Thats exactly what the airflow meter does, detect the amount of air entering the engine. On all newer engines there are also oxygen sensors which will also pick up a weak/rich mixture from the exhaust content.

Any more questions?

golfvr6

« Reply #19 on: 14 November 2003, 15:22 »
wanna talk to me bout physics? go ahead - i've done a degree in physics. You lot are an advertisers dream - beleive all the hype!

The reason it adds to your insurance is coz the type of peeps to add it to their car are the kind who drive  faster (boy racers). This isn't my opinion its wat the insurance companies go by.

Its not just believing hype at all. I have used these elements on several cars and they WORK! no massive power gains, but very good improved mid-range performance, and a bit more up top. A lovely noise too. Thats what i am saying, i haven't just read it , i've tried it. All in all not bad for under 100 bar.