Author Topic: Car smoking from under the bonnet  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Preston123

• Just got here
Car smoking from under the bonnet
« on: 29 May 2021, 18:05 »
Hi, I bought a 1989 1.6 golf driver last month for a bit of a project, it hasn’t been on the road so I’ve got a fair amount of work to do haha. I have installed a new brake system and drove 100 yards up the street and back to test those and after that the car juddered as I turned off the ignition then started smoking from under the bonnet. The smoke was coming from the radiator and also the right side of the engine, i realised the coolant tank was empty so I let it cool down and filled it with water to check for leaks but couldn’t see any. I drove it up and down the street again to see how it was and I was getting the same smoke coming out. I was thinking it could be the head gasket but that wouldn’t explain the smoke from the radiator unless im really unlucky and both are busted  :cry: .

Ive added a couple of pictures from where the smoke was coming from
Any help would be much appreciated

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
Re: Car smoking from under the bonnet
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2021, 19:16 »
It is common for the coolant flange on the side of the head to leak with age. Based on the picture that side of the head looks a little corroded from potential coolant leaks.

The steam from the front could be the thin bleeder hose running from the radiator to the coolant reservoir leaking.

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline Preston123

• Just got here
Re: Car smoking from under the bonnet
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2021, 21:20 »
Ok Thank, I had another look and I think you’re right. I’ll change them both. Much appreciated