Author Topic: Mk4 Golf Match Project  (Read 15645 times)

Offline iansabf

• GTI forum regular
Mk4 Golf Match Project
« on: 31 July 2011, 20:22 »
Thought i would share my car with you all. After owning plenty of mk2s and a few mk3s etc i bought this in October 2010. Its a Mk4 Golf Match 1.9 pd td 100. It wasn't what i wanted, was looking for a tdi 130 3 door but the girlfriend was complaining they were older and higher mileage in my price range and 'why don't i have that one' - pointing at a 1.4  :rolleyes:

So i ended up with this

It was only the other side of town so nice and local. All of the cars i wanted to view were at least 100+ miles away, although i believe its worth travelling to get the right car. Even so i went and had a look and test drive and ended up taking it home that day.

Its an 03 plate, 2 owners, 108k full VW service history, new cambelt from VW, infact it went to VW for everything! So i felt confident it would be a good car for everyday.

I decided i'm going to budget £1000 to make the car my own. So i've done a fair bit of wheeling and dealing since i bought it to get as much as possible for the money.

First thing i bought were the half smoke rear lenses as shown in the pics above. Followed by an Oscarli remap by Richard Washbrook. So should have bout 130 bhp. Going Veyron chasing now  :laugh:

Next some Montreal II wheels to smarten it up

This is how it stayed for a while.

Until i came accross some bits in the classifieds on here, ukmkivs and eBay. Got some grey recaros

Much better than Match spec seats

Colour coded door handles with delock
Before

After

Armrest and one of the newer cupholder quickly followed. Haven't got photos of these- you'll have to take my word for it! Then it stayed like this until june july time when i bought these for a good price

Not the colour i was looking for but the price was too good to refuse

Fitted

They came off quite a legendary car, never saw it in the flesh but read Dan's build thread on it- Amazing! He's a good lad aswel.

Didn't want to fit them until i had it lowered but i needed to sell the montys to fund the suspension  :cry: They quickly sold for good money so bought these

Had to wait for a whole week to use a ramp which was fustrating. Me and the old man fitted them to save a few quid. He was a VW mechanic for years so thought it would be easy but the fronts took at least an hour each! Struggled to get the shocks out of the hub. Ended up lowering the ramp with a metal stand underneath the shock/hub and bashing the hub with a hammer. The backs were done in about 10 mins in total  :smiley: This is how it looked

Thats as far as i've got apart from cleaning it. So heres a few pics

The only other thing i've done is fit an extra heated rear windscreen switch (cheaper than a funk switch  :nerd:) and nicked a feed/earth/ light supplies from the heated rear windscreen to feed an extra cig lighter behind dash just to hide and tidy up fm transmitter and wires for ipod until i think of a better idea- like a decent headunit!

As it stands i reckon i've spent £930 after taking away the parts i've sold. I think i've done ok for my money  :smiley:

Quite pleased with it for now. For the future I want:
v6 front splitter
v6 rear splitter w/o cut out, think the later v5s had them
colour code the door rub strips
maybe a boot spoiler
joey front lights
paint the vw badges black with either a sharan or polo rear
maybe a nicer headunit and replacement speakers
Paint Calipers
W8 interior light
Bora vents
Leather 3 spoke steering wheel
Bora sport clocks
Maybe wheel spacers
Get the wheels put back to like the original anniversaries

If anyones got any of the parts i'm looking for send me a pm with a price!

Any feedback good or bad welcome  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 28 August 2011, 19:23 by iansabf »

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: Golf Match Project- Cheap Daily
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2011, 20:55 »
looks good

only thing i dont like is the wheel colours.. especially the red cap

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2011, 21:14 »
Looks great for a daily :afro:

Offline iansabf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2011, 17:29 »
looks good

only thing i dont like is the wheel colours.. especially the red cap

Cheers F17BAD, not my 1st choice of colour either, prefer them to the monty 2s i had. Thinking of getting the red part of the caps painted black or grey for now so they don't stand out as much. Long term i want the wheels furbed back to standard colour i think.

Looks great for a daily :afro:
Thanks wayne

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2011, 17:49 »
Nice looking mk4 mate love the colour and the wheels sweet mk4  :wink:
Golf Gti

Offline iansabf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2011, 20:23 »
Nice looking mk4 mate love the colour and the wheels sweet mk4  :wink:
Cheers blu. I'm liking your mk3! How many sets of wheels you got for it?? Are you the same blu that viewed my red mk3 16v? Might of sold you some wheels as well?

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2011, 10:03 »
Looks great.... loads better than it did,  I like the wheel colour, just loose the cap colour maybe.

Offline iansabf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2011, 20:50 »
Looks great.... loads better than it did,  I like the wheel colour, just loose the cap colour maybe.
Yeah think they need changing. Going to look at the price or a complete wheel refurb make them shiny silver like they should be.

Can anyone recommend anywhere in warwickshire??

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2011, 21:34 »
I would leave the wheels black and just change the colours of the centers.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2011, 21:37 »
looks sweet mate i went in dans car when they were on it  :grin: :grin:
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)