Author Topic: jamie16v - 1.8T  (Read 25308 times)

jamie16v

Re: jamie16v - 1.8T
« Reply #20 on: 09 May 2013, 11:59 »
just a quick update, the golf is going back on the road within the next two weeks. that hybrid turbo was a failure so another plan has been devised. :wink:

jamie16v

« Reply #21 on: 11 May 2013, 20:57 »
what can i say about my golf for the last 18 months or so?.
not been able to spend any money on it really so it had been sitting in the back garden for a while.
my 6y/o autistic son had some fun with it, he managed to fry the cells in the battery by leaving the hazards etc on, and cover the interior in grass. he got scratches on the roof and bonnet from using the windscreen as a slide. so its been quite depressing really..  :cry:
it`s going to need a respray as it was desperate for one before it went off the road, but i think i`d rather put my money on tuning than cosmetics for the moment.
i`m not sure wether i should even do a matte or satin job on it for a cheap effect.. what are your opinions on that?.
i don`t really want to spend much on appearence but from the outside it looks tatty..

jamie16v

« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2013, 15:45 »
i thought i would take some pics to show the progress, or lack of.
in desperate need of a clean and respray.. ah, f**k the respray..
the bucket seats are quite shabby and are n home made mounts made from the old seats..
the next plan is get new seats, mount them on solid rails and get some 4/5 point harness`s  :smug:
a roll cage would be nice, but £800 is out of my budget..  perhaps big brakes next.  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 15 May 2013, 15:51 by jamie16v »

jamie16v

« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2013, 20:49 »
she passed her mot this afternoon, tax in the morning and all good to go  :smiley:
the drive back from the mot was interesting with the new turbo, boosting like mad. i think i need to get it to r-tech as soon as i get some money to do it.
she feel`s so much tighter without all that interior though, the difference is immense. might have something to do with the fact ive driven a renault scenic bus for the last two years giving me a false impression. :whistle:
still, it really is planted to the tarmac.

jamie16v

« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2013, 22:24 »
weaker forge actuator spring ordered and should be here in the morning. currently fitted with red spring and it`s overboosting like a mofo. :whistle:

jamie16v

« Reply #25 on: 31 May 2013, 20:20 »
Over boosting problem found and fixed, turned out to be a mis-seated diaphragm.
also swapped red spring for a yellow spring.
and now charcoal Evap canister deleted  :smiley:

jamie16v

« Reply #26 on: 02 June 2013, 19:20 »
walbro intank pump is giving a bit of starvation when low on fuel so it`s now being scrapped in favour for a standard intank lift pump, a surge tank / swirl pot and a high pressure in line fuel pump.
i dont see the point in paying silly money for a second hand LCR pump and also i like to have a go and installing something of my own. will see how it goes  :smiley:

jamie16v

« Reply #27 on: 11 June 2013, 14:24 »
Today i went about re-routing my brake vac pipework to neaten things up a little. While I was at it I got rid of most of the blue silicone vac pipe as I could as I thought it just looked untidy.
I also extended my n75 loom with a Ev1 pigtail, I was going to relocate it completly but thought it was neat enough left in the TIP

Now that the evap canister has been deleted I had a spare port which was on the offside of the car which meant I had a lot shorter route I could take to the brake servo.
I went about ripping the anaconda pipe out and saved the check valve.
I decided to use 7mm silicone as I found the 10mm stuff was colapsing slightly under vac.

It`s not the neatest of engine bays, but work is in progress  :tongue: :lipsrsealed:

« Last Edit: 11 June 2013, 19:44 by jamie16v »

jamie16v

« Reply #28 on: 14 June 2013, 23:54 »
I found that the golf was cutting back on power at about 4.5k rpm for some reason, it had me scratching my head for a while as it was fine before taking it off the road.
my first thoughts were the turbo, originally the forge actuator diaphragm was leaking causing the turbo to overboost and the ecu cut power really early.
i fixed that and still had issues at about 4.5k so i did some logs which shows there was a lot of knock, particulaly worse on cylinder 3. this let me to believe that it was an EGT related issue.

calculating the mafs grams/second worked out it was pushing 205 bhp which was about 19bhp down from my RR results 224bhp.
I realised that the exhaust was restricted and i was running a stage 2 map. I had my standard cat fitted for mot reasons and soon realised that this was causing the restriction. So, i spent half an hour under the car and swapped over the cat for a decat and then did two more logs but this time i did them seperatly to give a more accurate reading.
note the mafs peak g/s in the plot below, if you calculated it to estimated bhp it works out to about 235bhp.
it just goes to show how massively restricted the standard cat actually is. there is a 30bhp difference without any tuning involved, apart from the newer turbo which hasnt yet been dailled in.

below is a log of the knock retard channels, you can now see that the knock has gone  :smiley:

the car is now driving freely to redline, though i never really drive to redline as i find there is never any need to as most of the power is mid range.  :smiley:

jamie16v

« Reply #29 on: 19 June 2013, 17:11 »
Fitted a leon cupra R fuel pump today. most of the way now to getting good power.
i`m undecided on going the water meth route though  :undecided: its alot of money, i know it`s supposed to be magic but the cheapest i`ve seen the kits go for is about £250  :cry: .
Next on the list now is to upgrade the intercooler pipework.