Author Topic: MK2 Golf Gti 8v 1990, Gearbox problem, no reverse or 5th and feels loos  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Willdub

• Not said much yet
Hello all,

I bought my MK2 Golf Gti 8v at the weekend and had done about 100 miles in it without any problem, when i started to have trouble putting it into 5th. It would go in after a few tries and then eventually it wouldn't go in at all.

Then the feel of the gearbox changed, it felt loose and the gear changes were fairly insignificant. I could still drive it though and it went into the gears and acceleration was fine and there were no strange noises etc. I tried to reverse it into my drive and it wouldn't move backwards, only forwards.

I immediately rang my trusty VW garage and they said it was likely that a rod had come loose and it just needed to be secured.

Does anyone else agree? Any other information you can give me would be helpful.

It is a 1990, G red, 1.8 Gti 8v and i was told by the previous owner that it had a replacement gearbox and a clutch last year.

Thanks

Offline Golf8vGti

• GTI forum regular
It could be a possibility that the linkages have come loose due to wear and shifted causing it all to go out of alignment and thus causing your gear change problems. I had a problem a while back where by i lost 5th gear and it felt like i was hitting a wall when i tried putting it in 5th turned out the bolt and clamp had come loose on the shift rod and knocked everything out had to spend a few hours putting it al back which wasnt fun

Offline Willdub

• Not said much yet
That sounds likely, Thanks for getting back to me.

I don't have the knowledge to start doing anything like that so i will take it to the garage tomorrow and see what they diagnose and post it here.

Offline Golf8vGti

• GTI forum regular
No problems mate  :smiley:

Thats whats good about this forum everyone is here to help, let us know how u get on  :cool:

Offline Willdub

• Not said much yet
Got it sorted today. What had happened was, one of the plastic caps that holds one of the rods in place had broken and when i had repeatedly tried to select 5th gear the rod had snapped off. So the rod was replaced and all was well again!

Just a quick note, if you live in Stoke or the surrounding area i recommend Mossmore Garage.