Author Topic: Superchips & JKM day out 6/10  (Read 30418 times)

Offline telboy

• GTI forum regular
Superchips & JKM day out 6/10
« on: 06 October 2008, 18:13 »
Well as you all know JKM found a slight problem with my ED30,.....on the RR @ JKM it produced a tiny 252bhp, way below the claims made by Superchips! :cry:

I decided to pay them a visit today and here's my story  :nerd:

Firstly, after having such a poor result from my bluefin, I decided to return the car to stock on the RR day, pay another £30 and see how she ran. True to form, right on the money @ 226bhp, now having chatted with Jim @ JKM, he reckoned once the car had done around a hundred miles that figure would be around 235bhp, as Phil's did on the day, car had to learn the stock mode again.

So, 5am on the 6/10, I decide to put over a 100 miles on the car and drive all the way to Superchips to have a little chat about the bluefin I had bought. My first impression was not good as I must have met the guy that got out of bed the wrong side, however lucky for me I was introduced to a technician called Dave, who after a good chat about our JKM RR day, thought things sounded a bit odd. :shocked:

Now, he decided to put it on their dyno machine (must amdit their fixed unit makes JKM's look abit weedy!). He did 4 runs on stock and 4 on mapped. I was present and saw plastered all over their big screen the following, plus load more info;

Standard:  235.4bhp :grin:
Mapped:    260bhp (with the same drop in the power curve we all saw on the RR day!!!) :cry:

These reults pretty much confirmed with JKM's results.

Dave, then decided to verify the bluefin as the graph just didn't look right.

Hey presto, it was an LPO (low power output) file that had been loaded in error, Dave confirming that even the file had all the wrong settings on and was basically only allowing the car to hit a limit of around 255bhp :laugh:,...that explains a lot!!!! :smug:

So, Dave now decides it best to load the correct file to both my Bluefin and car and run a further road test and 4 more runs on the Dyno.

Now bearing in mind the car has to learn the revised map and that my car has now done 31k miles the result is:

282bhp :shocked: :shocked:

Dave also reckons with mileage, the car learning the new map and the right conditions the car should return 295bhp!!!!!!! :evil:

I promise to post the graphs ASAP, within the nest day or so, however I wanted to say to all those Bluefin owners out there, check you have the right file!!!! and give Superchips another chance as their customer service today was very good and bearing in mind just how many runs they did (JKM quoted me £50 a run), I am one very happy ED30 owner.

Lastly,......the drive home,.............

Well what can I say, much smoother power deliver all the way through now and boy does she go, much quicker than she was before :grin: :grin:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Superchips & JKM day out 6/10
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2008, 18:16 »
excellent result mate :afro:

nice to see big tuners not fobbing customers off  :cool:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2008, 18:16 »
very glad to hear mate!

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2008, 18:17 »
Superb mate, so your happy again ?, good they got you sorted

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2008, 18:18 »
out of interest mate, how old is your Bluefin ?, and did they say why they would even produce a low power version ?, also how can we check what file we have
« Last Edit: 06 October 2008, 18:21 by 182_blue »

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2008, 18:20 »
good news Terry, good to see what happened at the weekend prooved there was a fault with the Map.

Offline telboy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2008, 18:22 »
out of interest mate, how old is your Bluefin ?, and did they say why they would even produce a low power version ?
Very happy mate and yes they do a low powered file for some reason although not sold as standard!!!

My bluefin is 6 months old,...they were bloody brills to be honest,..

WhiteGTI

« Reply #7 on: 06 October 2008, 18:24 »
Really good to hear telboy!  :smiley:

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 06 October 2008, 18:27 »
Looking foward to seing on the graphs terry.

Spoke to JKM today, and all the pics and graphs from saturday WILL be on their website in the nxt couple of days  :smiley:

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 06 October 2008, 18:28 »
out of interest mate, how old is your Bluefin ?, and did they say why they would even produce a low power version ?
Very happy mate and yes they do a low powered file for some reason although not sold as standard!!!

My bluefin is 6 months old,...they were bloody brills to be honest,..

did they say how we can check the file ?