Author Topic: Android Auto  (Read 2773 times)

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
Re: Android Auto
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2018, 11:46 »
Sorry if this is off topic but I am torn between the inbuilt maps (losing favour with me due to no dynamic traffic info and inflexible destination specification) Google Maps, which I normally use, and Waze - because I think I should be using it.

So can somebody please enlighten me about Waze - can I see agredaged traffic density as in Google Maps or am I relient on its social media-ish properties?

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2018, 11:51 »
Sorry, am I missing something here. Are you saying that when using google maps or Waze (via Android Auto), on the newer MK7.5's with the AID it will display the map on dash ? I though you got no info on the dash from either Android Auto or Apple Car play ?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick (wouldn't' be the first time). ;D
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2018, 11:55 »
No info on the AID only on the media screen, only the vw maps work there

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2018, 12:01 »
Sorry if this is off topic but I am torn between the inbuilt maps (losing favour with me due to no dynamic traffic info and inflexible destination specification) Google Maps, which I normally use, and Waze - because I think I should be using it.

Well you can get better live traffic info on the VW system if you connect to CarNet... it is *better* like that but its pathing algorithm is still substandard, even with the data.

So can somebody please enlighten me about Waze - can I see agredaged traffic density as in Google Maps or am I relient on its social media-ish properties?

Yes Waze gets Google traffic data (because its owned by Google!) but in addition knows about speed limits (including temporary ones), can warn you about those speed limits, knows about speed cameras BUT the real killer is that other users can easily notify new problems - accidents, traffic jams, police speed traps, potholes (!!) etc etc. This extra user provided intelligence is absolutely critical and it makes it far faster to avoid jams than even Google maps. To add a new problem, you click a button on the screen to drop a marker then choose from a quick list what it is. Takes about 2 seconds to do.

Really good for anyone serious about driving a lot!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC