Author Topic: Clutch and flywheel  (Read 725 times)

Offline Oilslick

• Not said much yet
Clutch and flywheel
« on: 02 August 2021, 16:51 »
I posted on here not too long ago that my clutch pedal had stuck to the floor. The problem went away when I topped up the fluid but seems o have a leak coming between the gearbox and engine.
Garage has said it is likely the slave cylinder is causing.
They’ve quoted me £1200 as said best to do clutch and flywheel at same time.
The clutch has done 48k but I’ve not had any slipping, so I’m wondering if there is any need to do the flywheel?
Does anyone have any knowledge to advise if this is necessary? Or would skipping it be false economising?

Tia

Offline Oilslick

• Not said much yet
Re: Clutch and flywheel
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2021, 16:52 »
I’m on a 2013, non pp manual gti btw

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2021, 17:19 »
Preventative maintenance, depending how you drive the clutch may be 50% or more worn (?) and the flywheel is hard to asses until you view the clutch facing surface.

it's a case of you are paying half of the labour of a clutch/flywheel change, while you have the car apart to rectify the slave issue, do you want to chnage the clutch while you are in that area? :)

It depends how long you are keeping the car for, if it's not slipping and you sell a car with 50k miles, a clutch would be expected to have signs of wear?

Offline Oilslick

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2021, 17:58 »
I fully intend to have the clutch changed whilst they’re doing the slave - just wasn’t sure if the flywheel was needed. I’ve never changed a flywheel when doing a clutch - but my technical understanding is minimal - being a relatively high powered turbo with a heavy flywheel maybe it shd always be changed at the same time?
They’ve quoted me £1200, so just trying to save any unneeded expense.
I do around 6k miles a year and will prob keep it 2more years

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2021, 18:08 »
The flywheel may not be needed, you won't know for sure until the car is apart and you see how worn it is, the gel between the 2 flwheel plates also deteriorates over time and heat cycles...... It's preventative maintenance.

If they don't order a flywheel in for the day of fitment, you may need one,, if the flywheel fails down the line, you will have to take it all apart again at extra expense.

I assume all parts are guaranteed for 2 years, so you have that peace of mind?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2021, 18:37 »
How much will you save by not having the flywheel changed? Another point to bear in mind is that when you come to sell, a recent low mileage clutch and flywheel is a big positive whereas just doing the clutch might put some buyers off.

Edit - this article explains how the dual mass flywheels work and how they wear/fail: https://www.mechanic.com.au/news/dual-mass-flywheels-explained1

If it was me, I'd change it.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2021, 18:49 by Watts »
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2021, 18:47 »
I had a clutch and flywheel fitted a week after buying my Clubsport and the clutch kit was £284, flywheel was £654 and the slave cylinder £48, and loads of bolts replaced (due to them being torque to yield) fortunately the supplying dealer footed the bill.

They also said it was 9.5 hours labour due to the fact a full alignment is needed afterwards due to them dropping the subframe.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.