Author Topic: Replacement brake discs and pads  (Read 3533 times)

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
Re: Replacement brake discs and pads
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2021, 15:28 »
They are a bit manky, I'd replace them whilst your in there.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2021, 15:46 »
Heres's a better pic of the rear discs. They were a bit manky on the other pics because it'd had just been raining.

When I run my finger over them, you can feel the ridges so I think for the sake of £290 I should just get them replaced.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2021, 16:39 »
When I bought my GTi it was the first car I've had with an EPB, the salesman just said use it in the same way as you would a manual one, I always release the parking brake before moving off, I hate the idea of just accelerating away relying on the car to sense this and release the brake, I did it once and horrible noise it made surely couldn't have been good, let alone doing that everyday.

Bit like 'hill hold', another function I've turned off as I can't see the point of it and the fact you pull against the 'on' brake doesn't well with me mechanically.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2021, 19:55 »
I've used the Auto brake and Hill Hold since 2013 in my gtd, Tiguan, GTi and now my TCR and never had any issues with it and it's also never caused any issues with the rear disks. I can't see any reason to touch either of them.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 31 July 2021, 21:20 »
I know my GTI is only just over 3 years old with 18k miles, but my rear brakes still look like new to me, as do the backing plates ? (Pics taken just a month ago)

Maybe the bigger vented discs of the R and PP models suffer more than the solid discs of the non PP models ?

« Last Edit: 01 August 2021, 08:30 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 01 August 2021, 08:45 »
I know my GTI is only just over 3 years old with 18k miles, but my rear brakes still look like new to me, as do the backing plates ?

Maybe the bigger vented discs of the R and PP models suffer more than the solid discs of the non PP models ?

Noticed in previous pictures how clean and in remarkable condition the underside of your car is. Do you ever take it out in the wet :smiley:

Vented discs on the back do seem to create more brake dust but not sure that creates more corrosion. Think it is more about washing salt and other grunge off, making sure discs are dried out after washing and garaging the car. Bought my 2019 gti 18 months old and had to sort out some minor rust on the front of the rear suspension arms. (Learned with the mk6 that is the worst suspension area for paint damage).
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 01 August 2021, 09:48 »
I know my GTI is only just over 3 years old with 18k miles, but my rear brakes still look like new to me, as do the backing plates ? (Pics taken just a month ago)

I've had both disks on the rear and they've always looked clean and shiny.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 01 August 2021, 09:50 »
I know my GTI is only just over 3 years old with 18k miles, but my rear brakes still look like new to me, as do the backing plates ?

Noticed in previous pictures how clean and in remarkable condition the underside of your car is. Do you ever take it out in the wet :smiley:

Vented discs on the back do seem to create more brake dust but not sure that creates more corrosion. Think it is more about washing salt and other grunge off, making sure discs are dried out after washing and garaging the car. Bought my 2019 gti 18 months old and had to sort out some minor rust on the front of the rear suspension arms. (Learned with the mk6 that is the worst suspension area for paint damage).
none of mine have ever been garaged but I do go for a quick run after washing. I've also got a blo dryer now to dry those stubborn areas that still keep water.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 01 August 2021, 12:18 »
It's just cosmetic, they all do it, just replace them when they need replacing. On PP the rears are virtually redundant and are not used much at all.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #19 on: 08 August 2021, 19:41 »
It's just cosmetic, they all do it, just replace them when they need replacing. On PP the rears are virtually redundant and are not used much at all.

Sort of... They are not stressed as much under normal braking but they are used by the car itself quite a bit for torque vectoring etc. When I had my GTI PP the rears wore out quicker than the fronts.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!