Author Topic: Waxing after Quick Detailer  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
Waxing after Quick Detailer
« on: 30 June 2021, 13:59 »
Hi all,

I'm debating whether to have my car ceramic coated or used a carnauba wax such as the Bilt Hamber double speed wax, I've read some good reviews about this and don't mind spending a few hours polishing. I have used a quick detailer on the car initially whilst I decide but the question is can I wax over the top of the QD or could the Ceramic coating be applied over the top too?

Also is it worth applying the wax over the ceramic coating from time to time or is just a waste of time and effort?

Thanks all
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Waxing after Quick Detailer
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2021, 14:16 »
QD doesn't last long so when you next wash it'll be gone so you won't be waxing/adding a ceramic coating over it. The car would need a full detail and probably a machine polish before ceramic coating anyway. You don't need to wax over a ceramic coating but some may do so to add extra depth if they want to. I'd just be captain cautious and get the detailer to give you some recommendations before applying anything over a ceramic coating.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2021, 16:15 »
@Watts; good advice.

@Foxy367; forum member @Brocky asked the question about waxing on top of a ceramic coating a few months ago. Have a read of this discussion thread;

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287399.msg2634568#msg2634568
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2021, 16:28 »
Thanks guys! Last thing I want is swirl marks so being quite careful with it already two bucket wash etc. just want to maintain the depth of colour/ shine
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2021, 12:55 »
Ideally strip off the QD before you wax the car just so the wax has a longer lifespan.

If you do go the ceramic coating route, I'd recommend giving a spray on, wash off maintenance spray (such as Gyeon WetCoat) a go first as you'll probably find it does everything you want and more than a wax, as well as is much more time efficient only adding 5 minutes onto your normal car wash routine.

If you do wax over the ceramic be aware it can dull the performance of the ceramic coating.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/