Author Topic: New GTI Clubsport owner  (Read 3232 times)

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
New GTI Clubsport owner
« on: 04 April 2021, 12:29 »
Hello all

My names Ashley, I live in Billericay, Essex, 36, born and raised in North London.

Ordered a new GTI Clubsport yesterday in Pearl Oryx White.

Currently looking at 16 week lead time, its gonna drag.

I’ve gone a bit crazy in the optional extras:

Harman/Kardon Sound System
19” Estoril Alloys
Dynamic Chassis Control
Rear View Camera
Digital Key
Front and Rear Dashcam

Was torn between this colour and moonstone, decided against the moonstone after I saw it on a ID.3

I have a tonne of questions, I’ll look around on the forum before asking.

I’m no stranger to vw, my wife has a 2018 GTE, I’ve own a 2017 GTE Advanced, a 2015 GTD and a Passat many years ago

I have an interesting car history I think...

Noticeable cars, I had an FN2 Type R that I supercharged and modded every thing you can imagine, I’ve had every Type R since including a few limited edition Mugens along the way.

The car am selling for the GTI Clubsport is a Tesla Model 3 Performance in Red, I can’t imagine many have done that!

Why you ask? Tesla isn’t cheap I can’t warrant a car like that sitting on the drive another year with little use, before Covid I used to travel a lot, I can’t see that returning for me. Whilst the car is very VERY fast and interesting from a software perspective it just doesn’t have the excitement of a petrol car that sounds great. I was toying with the R, another Type R and even for a crazy moment a 911 but decided to return to the fun world of hot hatches and learn about the GTI like I did my FN2 Type R. Also I feel like the mrk8 GTI will be part of history and I want to say I own the last one (queue annoying facelift announcement in a few years lol)

Looking forward to getting involved in all the forum topics and hopefully contributing, I was a prolific member of civinfo back in the day, would be good to find the GTI version of that community from early 2010s
Golf GTI Clubsport 45 (2022)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: New GTI Clubsport owner
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2021, 15:16 »
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Hopefully you'll find lots of helpful info in the Mk8 subforum  :smiley:
7.5 GTD

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2021, 16:49 »
Hi Ashley, if you want a more limited and special MK8, why not wait a while and order an Edition 45? It sounds likely to be a CS with stickers and a fancy exhaust but it will at least be different.

And another welcome to the forum!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2021, 19:33 »
Is this a wind up? :huh:

MK7 GTi

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2021, 22:57 »
Hi Ashley, if you want a more limited and special MK8, why not wait a while and order an Edition 45? It sounds likely to be a CS with stickers and a fancy exhaust but it will at least be different.

And another welcome to the forum!

Nah I’m committed now, looking forward to it

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2021, 22:57 »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2021, 23:06 »
Welcome!

That's a curious round the houses.

I know you said the tesla was expensive and not getting used much but your clubby is hardly cheap especially with those options on it.

I can't say I've heard of anyone ditching any eV in favour of ice, let alone one widely perceived as the best out there (even if i personally dislike them as typical American poorly built cars)

Should be interesting... Have you actually driven a clubby?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2021, 00:15 »
Welcome!

That's a curious round the houses.

I know you said the tesla was expensive and not getting used much but your clubby is hardly cheap especially with those options on it.

I can't say I've heard of anyone ditching any eV in favour of ice, let alone one widely perceived as the best out there (even if i personally dislike them as typical American poorly built cars)

Should be interesting... Have you actually driven a clubby?

Yes I’ve driven a mrk7

Yeah it’s odd I admit.

I got a load of money off via carwow so wasn’t as expensive as list price

Whilst the Clubsport isn’t cheap the Tesla was double the price. In a world we’re I drove all the time it was worth it. But those days aren’t returning

With the Clubsport if I don’t use it, it doesn’t need petrol simple as. Doing the maths on the ROI was based on me doing 30k a year. Now I’ll be barely doing 10k. So the Tesla would never have been worth it

If you live with the model 3 for a year like I did the only excitement it offered was the straight line speed which gets old after a while and software updates. There is no substitute for the sound and feel of a petrol engine in my eyes. Also if I wanted to mod the Tesla I can’t with the Clubsport if I want to later, I can

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2021, 08:39 »
That's very interesting comment Ash.

We've been discussing the EV future on here for for the last couple of days... wondering if "fun" was possible with an EV yet.

Sounds like you've just ended that discussion lol.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 05 April 2021, 08:44 »
That's very interesting comment Ash.

We've been discussing the EV future on here for for the last couple of days... wondering if "fun" was possible with an EV yet.

Sounds like you've just ended that discussion lol.

I’ll find the post and offer my opinion

But yeah you get it. It isn’t fun. Huge straight line speed is great but it gets samey after a while. You can’t use any of it in the corners on a uk road so what’s the point

The software updates is exciting and the FSD was good but I don’t buy a car for it to drive me and get excited by getting the ability to make my car fart