Author Topic: Golf TCR  (Read 12147 times)

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
Re: Golf TCR
« Reply #10 on: 06 June 2020, 20:53 »
Thanks for all the comments everyone.

It has now been about 3 months since I got the car now but due to lockdown, I have barely driven it. I'm not quite at 1000 miles yet! I've been working from home so it's really only been to the shops and back, with a couple of more 'fun' journeys recently as the rules have been relaxed. However, I did kind of give up on 'running in' at about 800 miles and have gradually started to explore the performance of the car. It's quite fast :)

DSG is taking some time to get used to. I've set a custom driving mode with a mix of settings. What I've found works best though is to leave it in D most of the time and pull back to 'S' when I want to go faster or have a more responsive throttle or hold onto gears longer. This seems to cover most bases. Have tried the paddles but can't get to grips with it.

My main problem is trying to stick to speed limits. The car's so capable it hits 60/70mph rather quickly and you can easily be going too fast. Makes it a bit harder to have fun without driving like a complete tool on the road. I do appreciate the extra shove at any speed though!

It's still a bit of a novelty having a new car but with limited time in the car I've not really used many of the features. An example would be the dynamic cruise control, which is pretty cool, but I'm still not 100% sure how to use it properly. There's some scenarios like overtaking on dual carriageway that are difficult if, for instance you're set to 70mph and need to overtake a slower vehicle. The car slows down way before you get to them so you have to pull out and slowly accelerate to get past. I've found it easier to just turn it off and drive the car myself.

Overall, I'm happy that I chose the right car.

I'd like to get some 19" Reifnitz reps from CM Wheels at some point. I'll wait to confirm that I still have a job once the world starts returning to normal before committing to such unnecessary purchases that are hard enough to justify to the other half in the first place, though.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 06 June 2020, 21:52 »
Glad you are enjoying it :smiley: They are a very capable car and I too like that extra shove compared to my previous PP. I've not bothered with the ACC myself, I like being in control and enjoy driving so it's not something that interests me.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 26 June 2020, 08:57 »
Just clocked 4500 in mine about 3000 miles less than would do without lock down but been getting out and about a lot more recently across county and given driving is a therapeutic pleasure its so good to be able to stretch the TCR legs out again.

Only used the ACC in my R a handful of times on the M 6 and never used once on the TCR, just like being engaged with the drive at all times and as great as the tech is, its not something use actively, though we do have to remember the passive safety features of the radar are in play all the time, so overall you definitely happy its there.

Really loved my R, pacy and super assured, but now been in the TCR for 8 months now can say with assurances the TCR is the better car to drive, with the 290 BHP keeping the pace that used to, the reduced weight and front wheel drive brings an improved feeling to the drive, as you effortlessly move the car round bends, but with no less assurance than the R.

The MK 7.5 lifts from MK 7 are appreciated to, the better media unit and drivers display are greatly appreciated, a total convert to the latter.

The looks is the final win, loved the solid, bulked up stance of the R with the Quad exhaust as walked up to it, but walking up to the TCR is a plus again, the low stance on the lovely Reifnitz, and the pure grey contrasted with the pumped up black trim, and the 90% tints really is a good look, a real stealth like presence. The only thing that think was under done was the spoiler, with the MK 8 spoiler looking the spoiler it could have been (maybe a mod to come down the line)

Not to this day seen one on road (though maybe the reduced mileage is the mitigation to that) and it gets looks all the time, and even got followed and had a good look over by someone and his pal in an obviously well looked after MK 5 GTI

A decision really pondered over in ditching the AWD of the R but a decision could not be happier with for all the little adds.

Would have another R in a heartbeat too, its fine margins, so none of this a sleight on the R its just the GTI in general and maybe more so the TCR with the added BHP are more engaging when on the move.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 26 June 2020, 09:32 »

It has now been about 3 months since I got the car now but due to lockdown, I have barely driven it. I'm not quite at 1000 miles yet! I've been working from home so it's really only been to the shops and back, with a couple of more 'fun' journeys recently as the rules have been relaxed. However, I did kind of give up on 'running in' at about 800 miles and have gradually started to explore the performance of the car. It's quite fast :)

DSG is taking some time to get used to. I've set a custom driving mode with a mix of settings. What I've found works best though is to leave it in D most of the time and pull back to 'S' when I want to go faster or have a more responsive throttle or hold onto gears longer. This seems to cover most bases. Have tried the paddles but can't get to grips with it.

My main problem is trying to stick to speed limits. The car's so capable it hits 60/70mph rather quickly and you can easily be going too fast. Makes it a bit harder to have fun without driving like a complete tool on the road. I do appreciate the extra shove at any speed though!

It's still a bit of a novelty having a new car but with limited time in the car I've not really used many of the features. An example would be the dynamic cruise control, which is pretty cool, but I'm still not 100% sure how to use it properly. There's some scenarios like overtaking on dual carriageway that are difficult if, for instance you're set to 70mph and need to overtake a slower vehicle. The car slows down way before you get to them so you have to pull out and slowly accelerate to get past. I've found it easier to just turn it off and drive the car myself.

I'd like to get some 19" Reifnitz reps from CM Wheels at some point. I'll wait to confirm that I still have a job once the world starts returning to normal before committing to such unnecessary purchases that are hard enough to justify to the other half in the first place, though.

The DSG in the S setting is the TCR is far more usable than the S in the R (6 speed box), where it hung onto gears for an eternity which is ok on a long twisting road but around the local drive was a real pain.

Have found in the TCR the DSG (7 speed box) lets me stay in S quite comfortably. The flexibility and fluidity of the moving between D and S and Manual with the lever is excellent and you have adapted to the conditions with a flick on the wrist.

Everyone will have their own preference, the DSG caters for all, so it will soon become intuitive and innate in how use it

Have mine set to individual, with everything on sport except the soundaktor as though cabin is insulated you do still get to hear the Akrpapovic pops and overruns, which by the way from outside are far louder than you think, satisfyingly :)

Was a huge DSG convert after being in the manual is more engaging camp, but these DSG boxes are just so good it would be impossible to go back now.

The scenario you describe above on overtaking is resolved by kick down, there is a felt notch about 1/2 -2/3 down the accelerator pedal that you hit that drops the gears no matter whether in D or S, and as long as not braked, the car will resume the ACC.

So the ACC is semi autonomous, you can accelerate (take over) whenever wish, and car will settle back into the preset MPH once you take the foot off accelerator. braking disables ACC and you have to reset if want to keep using.

As long as not braked the car will resume the ACC

One of the major negatives for me in the MK 8 is the removing of the DSG for a knob thing, as shows VW does not understand drivers, the moving of the lever is a satisfying and tactile action, especially when intent is to go from D to S, thats completely muted by the knob thing.

You will grow to love DSG, in combo with auto hold its the bees knees
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 26 June 2020, 10:43 »
You can also set the ACC sensitivity (distance to detection) by pressing the middle button next to the cruise controls this will shorten/lengthen the distance that the car will detect another vehicle prior to decelerating (top tip) - when you see the car symbol coming up on the dash it is time to pull out and overtake with no reduction in speed.
I am also a DSG convert and coupled with the ACC is a godsend if you spend a significant amount of time on our delightfully crowded motorways :smiley:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Fazermeg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 26 June 2020, 11:44 »
I picked up my Grey Tcr 2 weeks ago coming from a mk7 Gti. I must admit I was going to hangout for a mk8 but then I saw the  photos 😣.

So far so good , she’s just back from getting the paintwork detailed and sealed along with the wheels and callipers  so looks sooooooo the part !.

One major problem so which has been a pain in the 🤬 , is the Android Auto. Sometime it works for a few minutes, sometimes not at all, it’s a Vw lead and I have tried numerous others with the same results. Relatively new S 10+ so not exactly sure where the problem lies .

I know in the grand scheme it’s not a major problem but has anyone found the same or rectified the problem ?

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 17 July 2020, 07:30 »
Very nice, just joined the TCR club too! have Pure Grey as well but have the 19's.  Awesome car and yes getting lots of looks, especially with engine sound in sport mode lol
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline Prestige

• Just got here
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2020, 10:18 »
Looks stunning and definitely the correct decision to remove the decals, they look tacky. Enjoy the new motor

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2021, 22:53 »

The DSG in the S setting is the TCR is far more usable than the S in the R (6 speed box), where it hung onto gears for an eternity which is ok on a long twisting road but around the local drive was a real pain.

Have found in the TCR the DSG (7 speed box) lets me stay in S quite comfortably. The flexibility and fluidity of the moving between D and S and Manual with the lever is excellent and you have adapted to the conditions with a flick on the wrist.

Everyone will have their own preference, the DSG caters for all, so it will soon become intuitive and innate in how use it

Have mine set to individual, with everything on sport except the soundaktor as though cabin is insulated you do still get to hear the Akrpapovic pops and overruns, which by the way from outside are far louder than you think, satisfyingly :)

Was a huge DSG convert after being in the manual is more engaging camp, but these DSG boxes are just so good it would be impossible to go back now.

The scenario you describe above on overtaking is resolved by kick down, there is a felt notch about 1/2 -2/3 down the accelerator pedal that you hit that drops the gears no matter whether in D or S, and as long as not braked, the car will resume the ACC.

So the ACC is semi autonomous, you can accelerate (take over) whenever wish, and car will settle back into the preset MPH once you take the foot off accelerator. braking disables ACC and you have to reset if want to keep using.

As long as not braked the car will resume the ACC

One of the major negatives for me in the MK 8 is the removing of the DSG for a knob thing, as shows VW does not understand drivers, the moving of the lever is a satisfying and tactile action, especially when intent is to go from D to S, thats completely muted by the knob thing.

You will grow to love DSG, in combo with auto hold its the bees knees

Yeah the 'S' setting is what I'm usually in. Although it's not great at certain speeds, such as 30mph, where it can't decide between gear 2 or 3. I've got used to sticking it in D at slower speeds and then moving to S if I want to accelerate.

The "soundaktor" stuff can only be controlled by plugging into the OBD with an app/software, right? I've yet to hear any pops/bangs from the exhaust but with the windows open all I get is wind noise so who knows! The odd time someone else drives it, it's very loud at slow speeds. Yet to have someone drive past me a bit faster so I can hear it properly.

ACC is fantastic but I find it leaves me a bit distracted, which I don't like. So unless it's a long journey (never is anymore) I just drive it myself.

I do love DSG but it actually makes driving a manual car feel a bit more special, even if it's a crap car! I don't miss it day to day but do find it liberating to drive a manual occasionally. Always want what you can't have!

I picked up my Grey Tcr 2 weeks ago coming from a mk7 Gti. I must admit I was going to hangout for a mk8 but then I saw the  photos 😣.

So far so good , she’s just back from getting the paintwork detailed and sealed along with the wheels and callipers  so looks sooooooo the part !.

One major problem so which has been a pain in the 🤬 , is the Android Auto. Sometime it works for a few minutes, sometimes not at all, it’s a Vw lead and I have tried numerous others with the same results. Relatively new S 10+ so not exactly sure where the problem lies .

I know in the grand scheme it’s not a major problem but has anyone found the same or rectified the problem ?

Mine is ok most of the time but will randomly disconnect. It's quite annoying actually. I've got an S20. Also it ALWAYS asks if I want to trust the car (bluetooth) for contacts/calls.

And if I accidentally disconnect the phone before switching back to "Radio" (or anywhere other than "App"), I get loads of stuck notifications from Google maps, spotify, etc, which only go away if I reboot the phone.