Author Topic: Best Match Head Unit?  (Read 4427 times)

Offline +49

• Here all the time
Best Match Head Unit?
« on: 16 March 2011, 13:36 »
Sorry if this seem's a strange request I searched but couldn't find anything matching?

Basically my 1999 GTI 1.8T has the just tape player with the empty cubby hole above for storage and a standard CD changer in the boot.I believe  its the Gamma one as it used to sound wasn't to bad for a standard car better than the very tinny HK upgrade in my BMW's in the past.

I wanted to simple swap my tape player for the single slot cd player (genuine VW) theres a plenty on ebay but reading the guide on here saying that the best mod you can do is simple change the heat unit as far as sound quailty goes as the standard output is fairly weak i'm lead to believe  from all the VW units.And I know i'll miss my AUX output my last car had aswell if i go standard VAG route :( ...Problem is i simply hate the look of most aftermarket headunit's,  I was wondering if there where any known aftermarket headunits that match the interior of the car the well? I like to keep stuff OEM look,Possibly somthing with Red/or Blue LED ligthing to match my car?Nothing to lairy looking of course.

So my main requirements in order of importance from you ICE heads :D :

LOOK OEM,As standard/factory as possible
AUX
PRICE!  :wink:

Any suggestions would be great guys!

« Last Edit: 16 March 2011, 18:12 by +49 »

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
Re: Best Match Head Unit?
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2011, 19:55 »
If you want OEM then Blaupunkt is worth a look. Something like this: http://www.blaupunktdirect.co.uk/car-audio/madrid-210-the-mp3-juggler.html

Becker is also worth viewing but are not cheap and I don't think they come with aux-in.

Offline +49

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2011, 10:14 »
That looks nice dude

I think I found a good one as per matching the car's interior well and it's on sale!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_757025_langId_-1_categoryId_237503

I think this one looks really really nice and its on say! It's only a £80 head unit tho..?!? it look any good to you guys ? for standard Gamma speakers?

Looks really nice and plain and I think the read glow will match the interior nicely?Do I need to purchase I cage thing seperate? Or will they fit ok?

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2011, 10:24 »
That Kenwood is not bad for the money.  Have a look and play at your local Halfords. Google the model and see if you can get it cheaper.

It will come with everything you need i.e. cage, harness and keys. You might need an aerial adaptor and/or a booster.

Offline +49

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2011, 10:59 »
Yeah looks wise  I think its perfect,the price was putting me off being too low but how bad can a kenwood be?

ahh good old halfords I work 6 days a week until 7pm everyday  and halfords is the only thing open for me after work :D

Looking around online halfords seems the cheapest aswell! Theres a few on ebay that just about match it for price but even if they was 10er cheaper I prefer to go and buy stuff in person and had some aftersales support.

gonna go have a look tonigth me thinks :D

Thanks for the advise Dragonfly

« Last Edit: 17 March 2011, 11:06 by +49 »

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2011, 11:27 »
What I would also suggest it try and get your existing unit out and have a look at the connections.  That way when you view the Kenwood (or any other headunit) you will know if you need an other items (adapter, booster etc). Both of these can be bought cheaply on eBay.

The other reason the model is cheap is that it only has one output rather than 2 or 3 (useful if you want to add an amp later on).
« Last Edit: 17 March 2011, 11:30 by dragonfly »

Offline +49

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2011, 11:41 »
What I would also suggest it try and get your existing unit out and have a look at the connections.  That way when you view the Kenwood (or any other headunit) you will know if you need an other items (adapter, booster etc). Both of these can be bought cheaply on eBay.

The other reason the model is cheap is that it only has one output rather than 2 or 3 (useful if you want to add an amp later on).

Ahh I had it out last nigth as it hasn't even worked since getting my car back of the road (10amp was blown at the back)works fine now.Humm one output?that's a bit pap to be honest i've got a Kicker KX300 amp and Kicker 15in base I had in my Old E36 and the guy at the shop got it to work with the standard BMW head unit! altho he did have to add somthing to it would work not sure what it was.

Don't think i'm going to bother with a base to be honest.I remember the golf being fairly basey system only reason I got the kicker (complete overkill!) was due to the Harmon Kardon system in my old E36 being studily tinny..

I'm 24 this month getting too old for 15in monster bases nowadays  :grin:

Offline gm8

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2011, 11:43 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=184563.msg1726522#msg1726522

I have the kenwood kdc bt30 in mine , that link has pics , its a great unit , the bluetooth is very good

Offline gm8

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2011, 11:44 »

I have the kenwood kdc bt30 in mine , that link has pics , its a great unit , the bluetooth is very good and only costs £72 from halfords . Cheapest elswere is about 95

Offline +49

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2011, 12:25 »

I have the kenwood kdc bt30 in mine , that link has pics , its a great unit , the bluetooth is very good and only costs £72 from halfords . Cheapest elswere is about 95

Why did you just quote yourself?   :tongue:

Yeah that looks exactly the same as Kenwood KDC-3047A the  one i want and looking at the specs the only differnce is its got bluetooth(which I don't need) can't seem to spot any other differnce's both 50x4 output with 1 preout?

Thanks for the pics tho mate looks sweet inside your car and seems a really good match :D think i'ma deffo go for one of the kenwoods :D