Author Topic: Xenons  (Read 9945 times)

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
Re: Xenons
« Reply #20 on: 03 March 2010, 10:10 »
Maybe, but the MOT test only checks for a minimium amouint of light, general alignment and any difference in colour from one headlight to another - it does not cover excessive overall light, glare or colour per se.  You could fit 120W purplish bulbs in a stock headlight and you'd pass an MOT. That doesn't make them legal.

The wild claims for uprated bulbs are not so wild, they are just misinterpreted - +50 / 80 / 90% bulbs do work, but they only produce that extra light at certain point of the beam pattern. If a standrd bulb barely stretches to 100m distance, its not difficultt to claim +80%.   Ditto with a dark spot in a  beam pattern.

Fitting any HID kit or conversion means you run the risk of invalidating your warranty (certainly for any electrical system failure), invalidating your insurance and getting stopped by the rozzers (although thats highly unlikely seen as they take no notice of the 20% of cars driving around with one headlight or using fog lights incorrectly).

Down to personal choice and your approach to risk.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2010, 10:16 by percymon »

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 03 March 2010, 10:12 »
Some reading for you
http://www.hid.moonfruit.com/#/conclusion/4529675873
http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/articles/are-hid-kits-legal-355.html
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps
Thank you for your help with this information.
Most grateful. :smiley:
Spoke to HID Conversions. Cars with their conversions have passed MOTs and David will provide in writing that they are road legal. What do you think?
Conversion takes approximately 5 to 6 hours for all three beams.
Its an extremely grey area of the law.  The MOT will only test for beam pattern and brightness - it doesn't actually cover the installation side of things.
The chap seems very confident they are road legal - if he's willing to provide that in writing then so be it
Me, personally, I would invest in some good quality uprated bulbs from Osram or Phillips and fit those  :smiley:
Decision is entirely yours  :smiley:

Thanks again. :smiley:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 03 March 2010, 10:15 »
5-6 hours for all three beams? The HID kit in my van took half an hour to fit. I don't care if it's legal or not, the lights on my vito were dangerously sh!te and I drive a lot on country roads so needed better lights. No-one flashes me so I assume my HID kit isn't blinding people.
My mate has a HID kit in his MK5, again, looks factory so I don't see what all the fuss is about. Fitting rally stage lights is stupid but upgrading to something brighter for your particular driving conditions seems sensible.
Tried uprated bulbs, all a waste of time, hardly any brighter despite wild claims.

I agree with you gossa.
Those uprated bulbs seemed to make no difference.
I will proceed with converting all 3 beams (driving lights, high beam, fog lights) to Xenons.
But before I proceed, I will check with VW and my Insurance Company for any issues.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2010, 10:20 by am1w »

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 03 March 2010, 18:58 »
Spoke to HID Conversions. Cars with their conversions have passed MOTs and David will provide in writing that they are road legal. What do you think?

I can provide in writing that it is legal to shoot someone with a harpoon gun - doesn't mean that it is.  :grin:

I will proceed with converting all 3 beams (driving lights, high beam, fog lights) to Xenons.
But before I proceed, I will check with VW and my Insurance Company for any issues.

Good luck finding some HID replacements for the H15 bulbs. And if you do, you'll have fun trying to flash your lights at people because HID's don't light up instantly.
Golf R

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 03 March 2010, 19:03 »
I can provide in writing that it is legal to shoot someone with a harpoon gun - doesn't mean that it is.  :grin:
Good luck finding some HID replacements for the H15 bulbs. And if you do, you'll have fun trying to flash your lights at people because HID's don't light up instantly.

You know what?
I do have a harpoon gun!
Now, who can I use it on? :laugh:

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 03 March 2010, 19:08 »
You know what?
I do have a harpoon gun!

Kev?  :lipsrsealed: or should I run for cover :laugh:
Golf R

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 03 March 2010, 19:14 »
You know what?
I do have a harpoon gun!

I like Kev. :smiley:
Please don't run for cover as I will then have to hunt you down. It would be too much fun for a termination! :laugh:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 03 March 2010, 19:47 »
mac7:
Changed my mind!
RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN!
« Last Edit: 03 March 2010, 19:51 by am1w »

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #28 on: 03 March 2010, 23:10 »
You know what?
I do have a harpoon gun!

I like Kev. :smiley:
Please don't run for cover as I will then have to hunt you down. It would be too much fun for a termination! :laugh:

Shucks, you guys are too nice to me.  :embarassed:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline mortygt140

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 04 March 2010, 06:57 »
Look through german ebay every thing is for sale,  Ive done the full conversion myself R32 xenons, auto levelers and washers for less than £600 including the looms from kufatec...other little bits and the washer bumper caps from VW.

Darren