Author Topic: MK2 16v Suspension ideas  (Read 9450 times)

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
Re: MK2 16v Suspension ideas
« Reply #20 on: 24 November 2008, 19:59 »
are the hot tuning coilovers really harsh then ???

cos i have asked santa for them  :grin: :grin:

No not at all unless your slammed to the deck and even then it's not that bad I had cheap springs on standard shocks and they were much worse.

They won't be too bad, I guess they are good for the price, but don't compare to £500+ coils.

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 24 November 2008, 23:00 »
Crikey, amazing response thanks all. I will need to check the prices but think that the Koni/Eibach route to be the best compromise. Do I need to fit uprated top mounts or performance bushes? The car is totally standard and on the original shocks so wondered if this would be a good idea? Also (yes lots of questions and do not want to take the p) but would a strut brace be a good idea aswell?

Ideally yes you should get some g60 top mounts, I have :afro:
Didn't go for performance bushes due to lack of funds, but they will also be worthwhile :)

Strut braces will have a slight effect, but nothing massive
Not really ideal if you want to keep your car standard-ish either :)

Offline Steve_B

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 24 November 2008, 23:11 »
Probably a good idea to get some bump stops as well while you're at it  :smiley:

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 25 November 2008, 00:33 »
Probably a good idea to get some bump stops as well while you're at it  :smiley:

Definately!
If not brand new OEM ones, then uprated ones! :)

Offline OakeyDoak16v

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 25 November 2008, 01:04 »

Definately!
If not brand new OEM ones, then uprated ones! :)
I have boge turbo's on standard springs with g60 top mounts. Have recentley replaced most of my bushes with polyeurethane ones but would like to upgrade the dampers to afformentioned koni sports with eilbach springs. My hijacking question is, with the top mounts in place do i need poly bump stops aswell, i dont really know what they do to know if i would need them or not.
Sorry for butting in :smiley:

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 25 November 2008, 01:49 »
Top mounts aren't really relevant to bump stops mate :)
Bump stops stop your damper from effectively completely bottoming out that can damage it!
OEM ones are pretty decent quality, however, if you're going to be working your suspension hard, poly bump stops are the way to go.
Kind of wish I had them on my car now, just for piece of mind.
I believe you can run both as well, for extra protection.
Hope this helps :afro:

Offline OakeyDoak16v

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 25 November 2008, 09:40 »
Top mounts aren't really relevant to bump stops mate :)
Bump stops stop your damper from effectively completely bottoming out that can damage it!
OEM ones are pretty decent quality, however, if you're going to be working your suspension hard, poly bump stops are the way to go.
Kind of wish I had them on my car now, just for piece of mind.
I believe you can run both as well, for extra protection.
Hope this helps :afro:
Okay cool, so will need them aswell. Cheers :smiley:

Offline drapergti

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 08 December 2008, 08:31 »
In preparation for the replacement shocks/springs I bought a set of G60 top mounts, however I bought only a pair, do the same ones also fit the rear shocks?

Thanks

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 08 December 2008, 16:33 »
In preparation for the replacement shocks/springs I bought a set of G60 top mounts, however I bought only a pair, do the same ones also fit the rear shocks?

Thanks

No they aren't.

iirc you can buy replacement top mounts for the rear, but I didn't with my suspension set up.
Have a look on the etka thread, there should be a diagram there with the bits you need, if any :afro:

Offline mookie

• Here all the time
  • Geordie ABF!
« Reply #29 on: 08 December 2008, 19:00 »
Has anyone got a picture of their Mk2 16v dropped 60mm on shocks and springs rather than coilovers? Just want to gauge what it might look like - would prefer the fine tuning of the height with coilies, but want the comfort of a good spring and shock combo.