Author Topic: The G60 discussion thread!  (Read 10302 times)

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: The G60 discussion thread!
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2007, 15:00 »
If I remember rightly from the reciepts I've got, mines got a G60 cam on it, whatever one of those is. :huh:

I didn't know you were running a 65mm toph. I've been thinking of going down to that myself.
......now officially dubless.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2007, 15:04 »
50mm on it's way! :wink:

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2007, 17:56 »
hmm. Is 65mm or below worth it without a flowed/big valve head or larger capacity?

Won't the ISV just bleed off any excess boost beyond +1bar or have had a remapped ecu or changed the map sensor ?

« Last Edit: 11 May 2007, 17:59 by Organisys »

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2007, 18:30 »
ultimately a smaller pulley just means more air... so ideally yes you want it to flow more rather than just build up as unused boost. anything smaller than 65mm is pretty detrimental to the life of a g-lader though.

Offline yorkie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2007, 19:51 »
Gibby, the camshaft is an Autotech G60 cam....

Autotech Sport 260° Hydro Camshaft

This sport hydraulic lifter camshaft was originally developed for use in Volkswagen G60 engines. The unique demands of a forced-induction engine require a special cam design to fully optimize power gains. Shorter duration with less overlap are key features in getting the biggest charge possible into the combustion chamber. Too much overlap will result in "wasted" intake air, literally running through the motor without being used. This cam is also suitable for use in Mk3 2.0L cars, as it is does not usually require updating the valve springs, or remapping of the car's ECU to run well. This camshaft will provide gains of approximately 10 horsepower on a G60 engine. The Autotech 260° Hydro Cam is ground on an OEM chill hardened billet. SportTuned Valve Springs are not required for every application but are highly recommended for the best top-end performance. Fits all 1.8L and 2.0L liter engines with hydraulic lifters, including crossflow heads. Lifetime warranty.

Asymmetric Lift: 0.421" Intake & 0.409" Exhaust
Duration: 260°/256° on 111° lobe center.

Offline keefusg60

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2007, 20:29 »
Mine's a Kent Cam, but not sure off the top of my head which one. Running a 68mm Pulley with Custom ECU and toothed belt. Got a full Supersprint system too. Brand new bottom end too with everything lightened and balanced.
Getting myself an LSD in the next couple of months to try and smooth the power a bit and stop it spinning up all the time.........

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2007, 22:03 »
Nice info Nick (Yorkie), thanks. :cool: Where did you get all that info from ? Do you have any info on the Autothority chip ?
......now officially dubless.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2007, 00:08 »
Getting myself an LSD in the next couple of months to try and smooth the power a bit and stop it spinning up all the time.........

need 4wd mate :tongue:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2007, 09:09 »
hmm. Is 65mm or below worth it without a flowed/big valve head or larger capacity?

Won't the ISV just bleed off any excess boost beyond +1bar or have had a remapped ecu or changed the map sensor ?

The Rallys have a Ecu that can cope with upto 2.5Bar of boost. A stock G-lader can give 0.6bar usual boost. The problem I have with ported chargers is the fact that if you have a normal G60 ECU it only copes with 1bar of boost which means that if you go beyond that the ISV will bleed it off to save your piston heads from cracking under too much pressure and not enough fuel! Thats why there is always talk about removing the ISV and drilling into the TB to stop the bleed off. Also ported airflow heads might only use small amounts of air being forced down to the valves, unless your valves are slightly bigger to suck the air instead of rushing past the valve.

I'm Considering a 68mm pulley as most of the euro boys say for short runs on 1.1 bar of boost the 68mm copes well and saves the charger meaning service of about 25,000miles if you go beyond that like a 65mm then your charger might last 10,000miles depending upon how you drive? If on the motorway doing 4000rpm+ 71-68mm pulleys are better for the whole engine as a daily. If you drive short distances, weekends, rev high and stop start 65mm is fine.
I still think if I had the cash that a 2.0ltr block would cope better and use the extra boost without detonation or stress on 1bar!  :laugh:

Offline yorkie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2007, 09:16 »
Full-Range Programming: The only truly full-range programming in the industry, AutoThority provides refinement and drive-ability second to none. Your car feels smoother, quicker, and more exciting under all conditions.

‘Soft’ Rev-limiter: AutoThority typically raises the factory rev-limiter slightly to extend the engine’s operating range. Mainly intended for track and auto-cross use, as a way to ‘hold a gear’ during a curve, etc. our exclusive ‘soft’ rev-limiter offers better feel than stock and is much healthier for the engine.

We are often asked why our E-Proms out perform the factory's and additionally why they out perform our competition. A Bosch Motronic E-Prom contains ignition timing and fuel injection metering information located on two three-dimensional maps. The factory has to tune for the lowest common denominators of these two factors and therefore leaves a certain amount of room for improvement. By assuming a high grade of fuel (92 octane minimum) and a good state of tune, we are able to modify these maps to optimize power and torque as well as throttle response and overall drivability. We distinguish ourselves from our competition through our exclusive Graphics Tuning Software package which allows us to retune the entire operating range of the engine. The full throttle map reflects the engine's tuning when "the pedal is to the metal". It is the place every tuner modifies and the place where we spend the least amount of time. The part throttle realm on the other hand, is the place where you spend the vast majority of your driving and is where we concentrate the most time and effort to re-map. The idle mapping we leave alone so that tune-up and maintenance remain identical to stock.