Author Topic: The G60 discussion thread!  (Read 10303 times)

Offline Charged

• Not said much yet
The G60 discussion thread!
« on: 30 April 2007, 16:48 »
Right, i'm thinking of getting an induction kit for my Rallye. I'm looking at either the SWG one with the twin cones or i've been recommended the BMC one by a friend.  Does anyone on here know which would be the best option, or if there are better kits on the market? Or if I should even get a kit fitted in the first place?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 30 April 2007, 19:57 by topher »

Offline Charged

• Not said much yet
Re: G60 induction kits, which???
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2007, 17:04 »
Just remembered a few other things I wanted to know:

1. I'm gonna get a full stainless system from manifold back, I'm thinking of getting a Supersprint one, is this a good idea or are there any other makes on the market that would do the job better?

2. I've noticed a few people on ebay selling their G60 heads as they've replaced theirs with a mk4 crossflow head. Will this head fit ok with the G60 gasket or will I need to buy a different one, if so which and are there any other modifications i'd have to do to fit this? Where can I get one of these heads from too, which model of Golf is it from?

3. I've had thoughts on maybe upgrading the forced induction sometime in the future, not a definite, just an idea. I want to stick with a supercharger rather than fit a turbo and apperently there's a Mercedes supercharger that can be fitted. Does anyone have any details about this or any other possible upgrades to replace the G-Ladder?

I know i've got more questions but these will do for now  :wink:

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: G60 induction kits, which???
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2007, 19:56 »
ok.. this might take some time..

Induction kits..

most of them are generically the same, jabbasport.. bbm.. whoever. big cone filter on a stainless L-bend with a heat shield. They make an awesome noise and you have the choice to retain your boost return.

the twin swg kits are very swish, and look stunning, but whether the gains reflect the cost is questionable. now these only work if you've deleted your boost return, which a lot of people do anyway as it stops the warm oily air going back into your charger. the 'charger actually uses this warm oily air to lubricate itself (oo-er missus).. so if you lose the boost return you have to spray the inside of the charger with a ptfe grease at regular intervals to keep the apex seals nice and supple.

i personally use a jabbasport type induction with the heat shield, and have retained my boost return, mainly because i use a 65mm pulley and want to keep it all lubricated as vw intended.

Exhausts! supersprint are fine.. i personally have a milltek system (not sure if you can get these any more) and i love the tailpipe design... the noise.. the fit.. well yeah, i like it a lot :grin: as with everything milltek though, they are a bit costly. darren at www.g-werks.com can sort you out a full system, and manifold for a rallye.. and i'm hearing good things about these.

Heads! the G60 head in standard form is no better flowing than a standard 8v GTI head, so its one of the mods that a lot of people put the most thought into. the choice of head can determine how the rest of your engine can be built up. now i may be wrong about this but i thought the crossflow head came from a new shape beetle, only available in the states, im not even sure if these are a direct fit so i cant answer your gasket question im afraid. (rubjonny may know!)
there are tons of good options though.. a simple port/polish.. or maybe tri-angle valves, or even a big valve head. there is the 16v head option, but with the work and parts required to do that conversion... you could do a 20v turbo swap (not that i would ever condone that in a rallye :laugh: )

Superchargers! now i dont know the current spec of your car so i'll assume you have 4 options. ill list them in order of guesstimated cost and power gain.

1) port/flow your current 'charger, use a smaller pulley (spins faster, more boost) and you could also use a toothed belt system to avoid belt slippage at high revs.

2) m62 eaton charger from a merc. good efficiency, reliable, no service worries like with the g-lader (this actually applies to options 3 & 4 too) im not sure if you can get an 'off-the-shelf' kit for this, but the boys at www.pitstopdevelopments.com can help you with that.

3) rotrex supercharger. as above but i think a little more efficient.. and higher cfm. think it would work out costing similarly to the eaton. storm developments have been working up a kit for this.

4) the daddy... the bahn brenner twinscrew lysholm! this thing sounds as sexy as it's name suggests. it can be mistaken for a police siren when backing off the revs.. i personally love it but you can buy a silencer kit for it (for the wimps)... yes thats right KIT . bahn brenner produce lots of lovely goodies for the G60 in kit form. the lysholm kit allegedly can be fitted by a compentent DIY'er in under 4 hours. you can get smaller pullies for these that can push out some silly psi. only downside? bahn brenner is based in america.. although they do have a couple of official UK importers.. maddogsyndicate, and yep.. g-werks of course :smiley:

im rather tired now..

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: The G60 discussion thread!
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2007, 19:58 »
infact, im going to sticky this and make it a great big G60 discussion topic :laugh:

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2007, 20:02 »
« Last Edit: 30 April 2007, 20:05 by Organisys »

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Charged

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2007, 14:30 »
Nice one Topher! Think i'm gonna get in touch with g-werks then. That bahn brenner twinscrew lysholm sounds interesting! :wink:  Got my eyes on a new Beetle engine too so gonna go the crossflow route, seems to be the best option as it's been tried and tested as a good swap it seems, will see what Rubjonny says. Thanks for the info on the Induction too, had noticed that the boost return had been blocked off on the SWG advert, and if it's there for a reason I aint gonna remove it, BMC it is.  :smiley:

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2007, 12:40 »
ok im bored, and this thread needs a kick up the arse.

so, cams! who is running what cam in their G ?

ive got a 275 with ecu software specfically written for it.. bit rich on idle but the power band at 5000rpm is rather nice :grin:

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2007, 12:57 »
Erm, I have one..it's a Piper I think, previous owner fitted it, will have to dig out paper work. Also rich on idle. I'll come back and edit the post when I find out exactly what it is !
 :grin:
« Last Edit: 09 May 2007, 18:18 by Organisys »

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline vaughn

• I live here
  • now team wagon, and team grumpy trainee
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2007, 17:38 »
i think i`ve got a big valve head with a 268 cam and a custom ecu, my powerband comes in at around 4k rpm but also got the tooth belt kit

57 plate black 5dr ed30, 1969 bay window devon camper. thats all for now folks, hopefully picking up a wagon tomoz

Offline Martz

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2007, 18:01 »
ok im bored, and this thread needs a kick up the arse.

so, cams! who is running what cam in their G ?

ive got a 275 with ecu software specfically written for it.. bit rich on idle but the power band at 5000rpm is rather nice :grin:

Erm I really don't know Tops. Standard. Although I do know Green Rallyes are faster - FACT!

(Oh, and a special request please. Can we lock Len out of this subject because all this information will harm him. Bless.)