Author Topic: Mk2 Common Water Leaks  (Read 10316 times)

Offline mpgscott

• Not said much yet
Mk2 Common Water Leaks
« on: 25 November 2003, 20:14 »
I know that most of you will have already answered this question but please help.

The inside of my mk2 5dr 8vGti appears very damp, and I am struggling to locate the leak.  Along the underside of the dash appears dry, also along the underside of the doors appear dry.  Where would the water come in if the sunroof drains were blocked?  I did locate a lak at the back spoiler mounts on the tailgate glass, and have sorted this.  Water appears to collect in the drivers footwell???

Thanks for looking..
1996 VR6 Highline
2007 Aprillia Tuono

Offline JezGTI

• GTI forum regular
Re:Mk2 Common Water Leaks
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2003, 20:43 »
The plastic inner door membranes are the favourite for leaks.  I had to replace my drivers door membrane the other week (due to a very dodgy window replacement!), found this link particualrly helpful....

http://www.matey-matey.com/leak_prevention.shtml

good luck

Offline AL16v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2003, 22:17 »
The other place on the driver side is the bonnet release.  Good luck finding the source of leaks can be a nigtmare.
* 94 Audi Coupe 2.6 V6 *
_88 Mk2 Golf GTI 16v_
Mongoose Stainless Steel System
256mm Brake Conversion
Boge Springs Spax Gas Shox
Full Leather
= 99 Bora V5 =
Jazz Blue, totally standard.

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2003, 01:16 »
Check the two rubber boots either side of the scuttle are clear of leaves, they get blocked and it fills up with rain water and this is what normally causes leaks in the car.

The water builds up enough to run in, Normally as AL16v said above, through the bonnet release cable gromet.

Offline KELVIN GTI

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2003, 09:30 »
I had the problem with the passenger footwell being full up with water after lots of rain mine was the passenger side back door i had it replaced recently cos someone dinged it and when they replaced the door skin they put the membraine back with just masking tape and it was flapping all over the place. To just double check i got someone to chuck a bucket of water at the door window and there it was it p###ed through the door. ive replaced the membraine with builders damp proofing material (DPC) which has worked a treat i stuck it down with silicone hope you find out what it is cos it drove me nuts

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2003, 10:25 »
the rear lights are also prone to leaking

Offline mk28vpb91

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2003, 12:49 »
How good is the finish on the interior paintwork? Is stopping the leak and letting things dry off naturally OK or should I make more of an effort. When I got leaks on my Mini it was usually goodbye to the floorpans, hello road.

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2003, 14:18 »
well ull probably find all the sound proofing below the carpet is soggy, so i'd think about stopping the leaks then drying out the sound deading

Offline Gozza

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2003, 12:43 »

I had exactly this problem on a previous mark 2 16v, mine was leaking thru the windscreen corner. Best way to find a leak like this is to take the carpet up n lay in the car while someone poures water over the car. you can then see it trickle in and follow it up. if It is in the corner of the windscreen then you will need to remove the speaker cover to see the corner. Then once found just get some black silicone rubber n seal it up !! Good luck

Blue MK2

« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2003, 14:10 »
little tip...

If you have misty windows in the morning inside your car then you have dampness remaining or a leak.