Author Topic: Should my car have big bumpers?  (Read 9872 times)

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
Re: Should my car have big bumpers?
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2015, 12:51 »
The colour changes coincided with the changes in bumpers iirc.

Along with the change in position of the hazard switch.

Nope, I have seen the '90 spec' wiring on a small bumper car.

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2015, 13:27 »
I'm not even sure VW know.

Looks like they were just throwing cars together with whatever they have in the 89/90 period...
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 31 May 2015, 20:24 »
the original question still remains unanswered. should an f-plate mk2 have big bumpers from the factory?

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #24 on: 31 May 2015, 23:38 »
the original question still remains unanswered. should an f-plate mk2 have big bumpers from the factory?

For me, no, It should have small bumpers if it's a genuine UK spec car and not an import!
BB cars would have undoubtably been available in Europe before they made it to the UK, but at what point in time, I do not know.
Many GTI's found their way over to the UK via the British Forces during the 80's and could easily be spotted over here because they still ran the German registration plates, which was soon sorted after fear of the likes of the IRA targeting cars!
So for a definite answer, the OP would have to contact VW, and pay for a Heritage Certificate, or do some homework on decoding the build sheet if he has it!

Thom

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 01 June 2015, 08:23 »
Unmodified '87:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-VW-GOLF-GTI-8V-SILVER-3-DOOR-LADY-OWNER-ORIGINAL-UNMODIFIED-/261904713152

Uh-huh.

Unmodified except for the bumpers. It's got wide side moldings and the hazard switch on the dash.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 01 June 2015, 08:27 »
The colour changes coincided with the changes in bumpers iirc.

Along with the change in position of the hazard switch.

Nope, I have seen the '90 spec' wiring on a small bumper car.

Only GTI's and GL's got big bumpers, so all 'lesser' spec models retained small bumpers right to the end.

I have seen original 90 spec big bumper cars converted back to small bumper as some people prefer that look.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 01 June 2015, 08:33 »

I'd put money on 'NO'.

We can debate it until the cows come home, and find examples of cars with or without big bumpers, but 1990 was 25 years ago. The cars may have changed hands several times with owners changing the spec of them along the way.

25 years ago doesn't seem that long ago to me, so my conclusions to this debate are based on memory, old brochures and magazines from that period.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 01 June 2015, 11:50 »
Unmodified '87:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-VW-GOLF-GTI-8V-SILVER-3-DOOR-LADY-OWNER-ORIGINAL-UNMODIFIED-/261904713152

Uh-huh.

Unmodified except for the bumpers. It's got wide side moldings and the hazard switch on the dash.

Exactly what I meant. Sarcasm filter fault.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity