Author Topic: 91' Mk2 GTi 16v Restoration project by newbie – help request  (Read 10276 times)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Chips for a valver mk2. Damn I need one of those. O wait its called turn the fuel up and spend a day tweaking the k-jet.
There is a relay to reaise the limitet to 7500rpm or 8000rpm.
Oem is stock, you seem to be swaying to oem+ (I think that's what I mean any way)

Offline francescop1

• Not said much yet
thanks to everyone for their replies. I think i will be sticking with kjet for the moment with my mind on upgrading to megasquirt in the future.

I have done some more research into suspension upgrades and it seems that reviews for kits on the mk2 are few..
I have found some combos that might interest me and i was wondering if anyone can testify to their experience with these. I will be diying these so im giving some rough pricing on each. I wouldnt want to mix and match dampers and springs as im of the opinion that kits by the same manufacturer work better with each other. As i will not be using the car on track i want something that driveable every day and not too harsh but an upgrade on OEM.

eibach pro kit (dampers/springs) eibach antirolls - around 750
koni spr.t  kit (dampers/springs) eibach antirolls - around 500 (if im not mistaken this is a new entry level kit)
http://www.vwspeed.co.uk/volkswagen/vw-parts/Golf_2_STR_T_Kit-3024-477.html
kw sports  kit (dampers/springs) KW antirolls     - around 630

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
It depends what what sort of drop you want? Upto 60 spring and dampers. Koni is a good choice for that. Ot coiloverd for an all round setup. I prefer coilovers

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
Depends how often you want to change the ride height of your car? This issue has been covered to death in other parts of the forum.

IMO I reckon a set of fixed rate suspension(springs/dampers) -40mm would be your best bet for not overdoing the lowering and keeping it almost OEM. Getting the benifit of lowering the car but not dropping it on it's hoop.

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline francescop1

• Not said much yet
do you think the eibach kit is worth the extra 50% over the konis? - or should i spend the extra 200 odd quid on booze and women?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
I would go koni. And other 200 on some goodies for in the bay. Maybe some uprated brakes and pads too get it to stop better

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
do you think the eibach kit is worth the extra 50% over the konis? - or should i spend the extra 200 odd quid on booze and women?

Koni kit will be fine.  :smiley:

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
This thread is going in the right direction but also missing the point. The op stated that they wanted to stick as original as possible and in true gtiforum style, we have pushed them in the complete opposite direction. Just wanted to make sure that the OP was aware that this had happened.  :lipsrsealed:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
It'll still look standard. Just say his suspension has sagged cos its old, :/

Offline francescop1

• Not said much yet
looks like i ll be going with koni kit then...

- question: i want to put powerflex/superpro bushes everywhere, is that going to be doable if im doing it myself?