Author Topic: 91' Mk2 GTi 16v Restoration project by newbie – help request  (Read 10276 times)

Offline francescop1

• Not said much yet
Depends how much of a slave you are to the OEM?
I couldnt justify putting an ABF (in my head:/), but a small chip that allows me to run around with a laptop in my car on school time - yes please. :/
You can get scirocco seats in mk2 patterns as well but quite hard to find.  all depends on if you want to keep it looking original!
- i wouldnt mind the corrado seats. i dont think they would look out of place in an mk2. i wouldnt put race buckets though.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
You cannot "chip", K-jet. You can do a WUR (warm up regulator) mod but the shortcomings of Kjet are well documented. I have a Kjet 16v and can count on my hands the number of times it's been running absolutely spot on. When it is, it's great, but it needs constant tweeking to optimise.

You can find more info here on WUR mod, will give better top end.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=31611.0

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
so how come the 16v uses kjet when the more "advanced" digifant injection was used on the 8v?

-the ideal thing for me would be to fit a megasquirt and work on it as part of my final year project in school, but im not sure if thats gonna fly with my school :/

A well tuned K jet with the right fueling and head work will kill most things out there!
Think about what a metering head does it supplies a lot of fuel at speed instead of a computer telling what its going to do before it knows what its going to do next! Which is why most 16vers like carbs as it helps with fuel to air ratios! But a highly tuned engine will require constant tweeking and maintence esp in differing ambient climates.
Digipants came in to fix the euro emssions and to a certain extent helps with over fueling cars at idle and traffic.
With the K jet if properly set up is like fuel and air on tap as much as it wants or the Head can take so to speak.
IMO the best options would be a ported head lower compression with bigger pistons crowns combined with a super charger it will kill most things on the road if you have a decent road mapp i.e Megasquirt! My own ideas is purely based upon 16V limited kind of power which is still OEM  :smiley:

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
the above sounds like fun  :cool:
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
the above sounds like fun  :cool:

Best thing is no all wheel drive drain to slow things up pure BHP to the front wheels  :drool:

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
so how come the 16v uses kjet when the more "advanced" digifant injection was used on the 8v?

-the ideal thing for me would be to fit a megasquirt and work on it as part of my final year project in school, but im not sure if thats gonna fly with my school :/

A well tuned K jet with the right fueling and head work will kill most things out there!
Think about what a metering head does it supplies a lot of fuel at speed instead of a computer telling what its going to do before it knows what its going to do next! Which is why most 16vers like carbs as it helps with fuel to air ratios! But a highly tuned engine will require constant tweeking and maintence esp in differing ambient climates.
Digipants came in to fix the euro emssions and to a certain extent helps with over fueling cars at idle and traffic.
With the K jet if properly set up is like fuel and air on tap as much as it wants or the Head can take so to speak.
IMO the best options would be a ported head lower compression with bigger pistons crowns combined with a super charger it will kill most things on the road if you have a decent road mapp i.e Megasquirt! My own ideas is purely based upon 16V limited kind of power which is still OEM  :smiley:

That's the critical bit, but finding someone who know's what they are doing with KJet to get it setup right in the first place. My experience with Kjet hasn't been a happy one so that is influencing my opinion. Kjet is a mechanical system subject to wear and tear and in optimum condition is fine but they are all getting on for 20yrs old. There is a better solution to the fueling than Kjet. Again, just in my opinion.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
I don't think its a bad thing to have differing views its just down to what you have tried and experienced!
Yes I find tuning a K jet real pain, but once you get there its like you have seen the light  :grin:
Its so easy to just say well 20V T would be easiy and cheap, which is why I'm pro K jet, plus it really depends what you want out of it Top end a KR 2.0 would be awsome, but hey petrol is not cheap and can't see many people wanting an undrivable car stuck in traffic for that matter? I prefer super charged cars they much more pedictable in power and more managable to live with.
20year old cars it makes you think what criteria was in order of importance without the restraints of todays criteria's?  :wink:   

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
Supercharged ABF = win :grin:

Offline francescop1

• Not said much yet
...i dropped a line to superchips the other day

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We actually no longer offer a modification for this model because the product we used is no longer available. I have asked for the listing to be removed from our website. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Dominic

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
They no longer offer it because it never existed  :grin:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.