Author Topic: Coilovers....  (Read 10252 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: Coilovers....
« Reply #20 on: 25 October 2010, 23:32 »
DH has a point, I think a Blisten / eibach set up would be a good all round choice.

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #21 on: 26 October 2010, 01:41 »
You've got 15 settings on each, before you start frigging with the spring rates.

What in all f*ckery makes you think you can get that right for A roads, B roads or motorway, let alone track?

B8 struts and good quality appropriate springs might be more sensible for road and play.

Let's face it, what are you going to do, corner weight it every time you take a different passenger?  Weigh your luggage whenever you take anything out in it?  Can you imagine the amount of winding down you'll need to do if you give Chuff a lift?

Coilovers will corrode and seize - it's in their nature.  Struts are simple and fixed, developed for the best compromise for approximately your car on approximately the sort of roads you might typically drive.  Good quality items should 'just work'.  You know, like your Mac.

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Some good valid points. My car only does a very minimal mileage, around 1200 per year,  dry ones at that, and It will not be doing track days, ware and tear, corrosion is of no concern..
I have all the kit at work to check/set up camber, castor,  tracking, corner weighting, it would be daft not to try and find the very best end of a compromise. A ball park figure ( 9 stone passenger in the front, and half tank of fuel, + myself)  regarding corner weighting would be good enough in this situation, especially as I want to keep the rest of the suspension OE...
Bilsteins are very much on the list, as are Koni's and KW's
Id love to be able to take Chuff out in the Golf.. unfortunately, he doesn't fit in one any longer, hence the Wagon/Bus..
And happy that you've seen the light on the "Mac" thing :wink:
Thom

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 26 October 2010, 11:18 »
KW's V2's no nonsense stick them in adjust height job done very simples and yes you need to PTFF or coat them every siz months to keep them shiny and free of mud and dirt!
Should be about £600-700 I reckon for a stainless set. :cool:

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
« Reply #23 on: 26 October 2010, 11:59 »
Sounds like your £1,200 budget will be able to buy 2x sets of KW Var 2's, 1 for you, 1 for me ;)

You won't have so much physcial comfort, as mental comfort, knowing you helped a fellow cheapskate blagger dubber

I'll PM you my address on where to send them to ... :grin:

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 26 October 2010, 12:24 »

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #25 on: 26 October 2010, 12:56 »
KW as you seem to be able to afford them. v3 will allow you to bu99er about with them endlessly without finding the right setting.

Fixed.

Ok I see your point. How about "v3 will allow you to hopefully eventually arrive at a ride / handling compromise you are happy with".

Good quality items should 'just work'.

i.e. In this case, be designed (hopefully due to some effort in r&d) to provide a handling / ride compromise that is acceptable to most people. Since Thom is likely to be in this bracket (he's not a track warrior) then (Eibach) springs and (Boge Gas) shocks will likely suffice.

I had this combination on a daily mk2 and in many ways the car was more fun to drive than my G60 on coils. OK dry grip was lower, but when cornering the car was more playfull, adjustable and forgiving.

I think you only really need coils in a Mk2 if you want to go very low for cosmetic reasons or if you want to use the car for track use and have a high BHP motor that warrants more cornering grip that the extra stiffness can help provide.

:smiley:
« Last Edit: 26 October 2010, 13:02 by Organisys »

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #26 on: 26 October 2010, 14:26 »
And happy that you've seen the light on the "Mac" thing

I haven't.  I've got 4GB of RAM for the iMac on my desk here and I'm p*ssed at having to buy that.

Plus the HD on the Macbook Pro is full and I'm looking at an upgrade for it already because I can't move the partitioning around and if I'm going to have to reinstall stuff it might as well be on something of a size that won't be full in another couple of months.

Turns out they don't 'just work', but I could have told you that before buying one.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 26 October 2010, 16:08 »
Its not what you know its who you know  :wink:

Get me some then.

Offline messenjah

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 26 October 2010, 16:15 »
The only point i would make regarding the Gaz coilovers is i'm not sure the build quality is up to standard. I have a friend who's a racing driver and his second race car (BMW 320) runs Gaz shocks as part of the organiser sponsership, he's had several problems with splittling the bottom balls on them and didn't rate them at all, they've since changed over to Ohlins.

i have known one or two people have some issues with build quality but its a very small proportion and they way they deal with these problems and their after sales service in my experience is top class

butit may be a good thing to think about