Author Topic: Mk2 Golf 1.3 carb model 1.8t conversion...  (Read 9495 times)

Offline jimmyhodge

• GTI forum regular
Mk2 Golf 1.3 carb model 1.8t conversion...
« on: 27 April 2010, 09:29 »
Right got a 3 door mk2 golf 1.3 carb model. Looking to throw a 1.8T lump under the bonnet. I'm fairly mechanically minded but one thing has thrown me off. Being as i'm fitting an injection engine into a carb model Golf how do I plum the injection system in... Do I have to get an injection type fuel tank or is there an easier way about this as on my Golf the fuel pump is manual cam driven type. Any help would be much aprietiated...
Also i've got hold of an A3 type engine inc gearbox,subframe,loom,ecu etc. Is it worthwhile getting the dash as well or can this be ignored and the engine wired into my old dash assembly easily. Obviously a seperate rev counter,boast controll regulator and or temperature guage would have to be put in seperate if the old dash is retained.
Scratching my head on the injection side of it though so any help really would be aprietiated!

Regards

Jimmy
ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Mk2 Golf 1.3 carb model 1.8t conversion...
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2010, 10:22 »
can use your old tank with mk2 lift & main pump + lines. if it was me I'd fit a k-jet main pump for safety but peeps have used the digifant one on lower power applications.  MK3 tank + pump would also fit, again if me I'd go with the VR6 pump for safety.
other options include some kind of aftermarket pump+filter under the car, in this scenario I'd put in a mk2 lift pump + a fuel reservoir to prevent fuel starvation.  Could go all out with custom fuel cell if you like, your call.

dash is up to you, need a rev counter converter if you want to run rev counter in your old clocks, or fit a seperate one as you say. Another thing to consider is if you have a later engine with the immobiliser built into the clocks, if so you either need to fit the clocks, have immob defeat or go aftermarket management.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline jimmyhodge

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2010, 11:05 »
Right so i can use the old fuel tank which makes life easier but you advise fitting a pump in circuit somewhere under the car,yer? Does this mean it will prime up as usual and pressurise up the injectors as per usual and then the ecu will controll how much the injectors inject as per usual. Will i be able to use the old return feed as per usual?
Sorry to sound daft just i'm an old school bloke in that i can set up carbs etc but injectors confuse be to a certain extenct... Hhahaha.

I'm planning to boost her up and fit a larger K04 turbo so will prob req the hiugher powered fuel pump as mentioned.

Much aprietiated on the prompt reply

Regards

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2010, 11:12 »
Would be easier to pick up a GTI tank, lines and pumps to be honest.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2010, 11:25 »
no difference in easiness using a MK2 GTI tank, in fact easier to use the old tank as you can feed the lines from lift pump to main pump with tank in place, rather than having to drop the tank.

if you use the mk2 tank you'll need both the lifter pump in the tank and some kind of main pump under the car. if you use a mk3 tank they only have the 1 main pump inside the tank.  With that spec yeah I wouldnt trust the digifant mk2 pump, though best to ask someone with more experience which pump is best.  What they usually ask is what power you are aiming for, then they recomend the pump you want from that :)

I think you can even fit the MK4 1.8t pump inside a MK3 tank somehow?

Offline jimmyhodge

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2010, 13:21 »
Right sounds stupid but you keep mentioning this lift pump...? What are you talking about if you don't mind me asking...? Obviously on my 1.3 i have a camshaft operated proper old school manual pump that skrews on top of the rocker and when the motor goes so will this and i believed correct me if i'm wrong thats the only pump on the car...
I'm proberly sounding completly blonde here and would aprietiate the advise. If i can retain my old fuel tank and just bolt a fuel pump inline somewhere along the circuit that would be what i'd want to do.
Your help is much aprietiated though. My belief of how fuel injectors work is it correct that once they are pressurised up and primed as long as they have fuel pumping to them the ecu controlls how much fuel is fed into the engine itself? yes?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2010, 14:30 »
the 1.3 just has the one on the block ya, on a GTI the lift pump drops into the fuel tank and is required to supply the main pump under the car with fuel. The MK2 under car pump sits inside a plastic reservoir which prevents fuel starvation, so if you use an aftermarket inline type fuel pump I'd recomend you use a MK2 lift pump hooked up to a seperate reservoir to prevent fuel starvation.  The MK3 Polo, later MK1 Cabrio and Scirocco have a suitable fuel reservoir.

For an easy life though, use a MK2 lift pump & k-jet under car pump and lines, all bolts straight on.

Offline jimmyhodge

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2010, 15:53 »
Mine is a GTI 1.3 Golf...i'm starting to wonder if I may have a lift pump anyway by the sounds of things,will inspect tonight. But i've come to the conclusion for best results I should run one of these K-JET under car pumps straight to a swirl pot then run a high pressure pump straight to the injectors. Sound good to you?
I'm making it into a serious street sleeper  :laugh: should be an interesting thing to drive...
There's so muh room to play with under the boneet its laughable! I've tracked down a 1.8t motor but its not the big port big valve one so may sell it and see if i can track one of these down. Any idea of the engine codes on these is it the AEB or AEX or something similer i'm looking for?

Cheers though on the injection system help! seriously useful,tell me what you think on the swirl pot idea...

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2010, 16:11 »
no you dont have a lift pump :)
and no you dont need to put on a swirl pot after the k-jet pump, or another high pressurte pump after it. The kjet pump is a high pressure pump!  Also the main k-jet pump sits inside a plastic reservoir under the car, and this is filled with fuel by the in-tank lift pump. The plastic reservoir of the main k-jet pump acts as a swirl pot :)

Offline jimmyhodge

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2010, 16:54 »
Ha ok so if i get hold of a lift pump of a mk2 golf this drops straight in my tank yer?
The idea of not having to buy a expensive swirl pot sounds brilliant!  :smiley:
Am I right in thinking the K-Jet pump you are talkng about is fitted to old type saab 900/900 turbo's or am I mistaken? If not where abouts can I get a k-jetronic as you describe?
Are they relay operated as per usual or just switch off once full and prime themselfs back up according to fuel levels in pump?