Author Topic: Mk2 Top mounts coilovers  (Read 9327 times)

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
Mk2 Top mounts coilovers
« on: 16 February 2010, 10:15 »
Can anybody put up a pic of their tops mounts if they have coilovers fitted?

My mate helped fit them and we did it exactly like it was originally, that's not to say it's not wrong though :grin:

I had the car in the garage and they said they were "dangerous", I know the nut that bolts down on them isn't on terribly far and I will do something about them. But any help would be appreciated...

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: Mk2 Top mounts coilovers
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2010, 10:55 »
you have answered your own question, do the nut up properly!

check the bearing is sitting on he top plate ok as well, sometimes you need to put a washer in there

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2010, 11:01 »
you didnt fit the black spring plate as well did you? the top mount should just drop straight on the coilovers then you do up the slotted nut tight, then fit to car and pop the upper retaining cup thing on and lastly the top nut.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2010, 11:28 »
you didnt fit the black spring plate as well did you? the top mount should just drop straight on the coilovers then you do up the slotted nut tight, then fit to car and pop the upper retaining cup thing on and lastly the top nut.

Erm, perhaps :undecided: I thought it looked a bit "funny" but it was getting dark and that was how it was when I got the car. Will ptake a photo and show you guys what I'm talking about.

you have answered your own question, do the nut up properly!

check the bearing is sitting on he top plate ok as well, sometimes you need to put a washer in there
:grin:

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2010, 12:20 »
yeah that could explain it! the black cap thing isnt required on coilovers, as they have the top spring cap built in
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2010, 12:22 »
yeah that could explain it! the black cap thing isnt required on coilovers, as they have the top spring cap built in

I'm not too sure what's happened. They seem to sit awful high up. Pic will be attached to this once I get home and can upload an image

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2010, 13:05 »
run though how youve set them up mate, gives us a better idea of where you could have gone wrong! :smiley:

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2010, 14:31 »
run though how youve set them up mate, gives us a better idea of where you could have gone wrong! :smiley:

Just refitted them as per how they were fitted. As I said I'm at work/ supposed to be working an will get a photo later on tonight. I have never fitted suspension before let alone coilovers so there was plenty of room to do something cockish. :embarassed:

Photo's to follow for you to laugh at.
 If it is all wrong I blame the responsible adult who was supposed to be supervising :grin: ( Getting my excuses in quick)

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2010, 19:43 »
This is a quick pic

Have I been a spoon?

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2010, 19:48 »
by the lack of thread sticking out the nut i think rubjonny got it spot on  :grin: