Author Topic: MK2 GTI 1991, timing belt replacement  (Read 10101 times)

Offline Scoobydoogolf

• Not said much yet
MK2 GTI 1991, timing belt replacement
« on: 21 June 2009, 13:00 »
I have a mk2 Gti and I am trying to replace the cambelt, I can’t seem to line up the timing mark on the lower crank pulley and I have the crankshaft set to TDC on the gearbox aperture, is it possible that the flywheel has been installed in the wrong position, as I know you can’t install the pulley the wrong way round as it is offset .    :angry:

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: MK2 GTI 1991, timing belt replacement
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2009, 13:46 »
I have a mk2 Gti and I am trying to replace the cambelt, I can’t seem to line up the timing mark on the lower crank pulley and I have the crankshaft set to TDC on the gearbox aperture, is it possible that the flywheel has been installed in the wrong position, as I know you can’t install the pulley the wrong way round as it is offset .    :angry:

when i had my timing belt done recently, they commented that the flywheel must have previously been put on in the wrong position... so im guessing you have that problem. this is on a 90 8v digi.

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Scoobydoogolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2009, 13:55 »
Thanks   Chris, yes I think the flywheel has been installed in the wrong position, and it is a 1991 8V digi. :sad:

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2009, 16:14 »
Have you removed the belt yet?

If not, don't bother with TDC, just mark it all up with tip-ex and refit the new belt.

If you have, then you should have marked up before hand :laugh:

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2009, 17:59 »
when I changed the clutch it was easy to fit the fly wheel in the wrong position. You couldnt tell till you looked at the two dowels on the flywheel that didnt line up.

Check pistion 1 at top dead centre maybe?

Might be the crank pully on wrong?
:)

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2009, 18:33 »

If not, don't bother with TDC, just mark it all up with tip-ex and refit the new belt.

Why not just use the factory timing marks?
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Scoobydoogolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2009, 19:09 »
I have found out what was at fault with setting up the timing, it was the harmonic damper pulley on the end of the crank it looks like the outer has spun round on the rubber damper and the timing mark wont line up, I hope I can get a new one tomorrow from VW   :sad:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2009, 19:11 »

cos as its been said over the whole thread, pulleys and flywheel may have been put on wrong throughout the cars life.

Offline Scoobydoogolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2009, 19:18 »
The lower pulley wasn’t installed wrong but the inner rubber core has disintegrated allowing the outer part of the pulley to turn and go out of alignment, and the outer part of the pulley has the timing reference mark on it, and this wont line up.       

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2009, 19:21 »

cos as its been said over the whole thread, pulleys and flywheel may have been put on wrong throughout the cars life.

If that was the case the car would not be running properly, if at all.
Its actually very hard to fit the pulleys on wrong.
The cam sprocket has a timing mark, you cannot fit this sprocket incorrectly.
I think there is also a flat tooth on the crank sprocket, but i can't remember exactly as i haven't worked on one of these for years.
Do the job properly, by the book.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS