Author Topic: Mk1 starting and idling problems  (Read 9284 times)

Offline Exeter_man

• Just got here
Mk1 starting and idling problems
« on: 21 January 2007, 16:07 »
Hi all,

I have had my Mk1 GTI 1.8 8v for just over a year and have spent an arm and a leg keeping her on the road. It is a daily driver so I have spared no expense. The only thing that isn't standard is unfortunately, a previous owner has put a racing/hot cam in, which makes it idle very lumpy.

She has always started first time with no headaches but a couple of weeks ago she just wouldn't fire. I tried for ages and it would occasionally kick but not actually get running. I called my recovery service who checked the spark and fuel which was fine. The guy said it subsequently wasn't a problem with not enough fuel or no spark. The spark plugs are less than 3 months old. After getting it started eventually, she runs very erratically and occasionally the revs drop right off to 5-600 and can die at traffic lights and junctions etc. Also, under acceleration, the car jerks (slightly). Both these probs calm down after the engine warms up.

I took her into my garage, they had a look round and replaced/repaired the earth to the Cold Start Valve because they thought it might be flooding the engine. (This has stopped the temp light flashing when I turn the lights on  :smiley:) It is still taking a long while of cranking the ignition and crossing fingers to get the it to actually start and the idle problem is still there, I am obviously going to take it back to the garage as the problem is still there. I would really appreciate any advice or opinions if you have any ideas to help me and the mechanics out!

Cheers for your help and thanks for taking the time to read about my headache!

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
Re: Mk1 starting and idling problems
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2007, 08:52 »
hi mate, my golf is pritty poor when cold but after a few mins of running it is sweet as a nut! i have had a running problem with mine so i have had a new coil, dizzi cap and leads. the car had uprated leads and an after market dizzi but now has vw spec items and runns far better! maybe its worth replacing these on yours as they are quite cheap! the k-jet is an old engine after all so i guess they wont be as good as a modern car when cold?  :undecided:  (i only have the standard cam)
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2007, 09:26 »
try unplugging the WUR & 5th injector, if that helps either item may be dead, or perhaps you have leaking fuel injectors.

If I were you I'd buy a new set of brass injectors off ebay, and fit copmplete with new injector seals, cheap from GSF :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-BOSCH-INJECTOR-201-124-126-107-129-123-460-1_W0QQitemZ6638808341
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2007, 11:56 »
hi, are brass injectors better than the normal type?
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2007, 12:21 »
no better than VW injectors performance wise, but they are much cheaper and wont rust :)

Offline SpearMintTom

• GTI forum regular
  • DOB: 10/08/1986 - MK1 Golf: 14/02/1983!
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2007, 17:16 »
Will that ebay link to the mercedes bosch injector fit the golf then?
1983 1.6L 8v: S/S 4-2-1 branch, S/S CentreBox, M-u-f-f Diver exhaust, SPC, Wofsburg Dials + Blue LED Lights, Debadged & Smoothed, Porsche Green,

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2007, 17:19 »
they will fit 1.8 16v K-Jet engines, and earlier 8v K-Jet engines. My MK1 1.6 and 1.8 fuel lines worked with the brass injectors.
If you pull one of your injectors and let me know the part # I can confirm for you :)

Offline SpearMintTom

• GTI forum regular
  • DOB: 10/08/1986 - MK1 Golf: 14/02/1983!
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2007, 18:20 »
OK, might be a few days, @ Uni, so need to go back and have alook, 8V K-Jet 1.8 Scala engine (same as MK1 golf)
1983 1.6L 8v: S/S 4-2-1 branch, S/S CentreBox, M-u-f-f Diver exhaust, SPC, Wofsburg Dials + Blue LED Lights, Debadged & Smoothed, Porsche Green,

Offline alpesh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2007, 16:49 »
Try checking the injector seals. My ones had gone hard. Cheap to replace.