Author Topic: Mk1 Golf Cab Leak - Help Please  (Read 9261 times)

Offline seano7015

• GTI forum regular
Mk1 Golf Cab Leak - Help Please
« on: 08 January 2011, 13:36 »

iv got a '89 gti cab, but went out 2 it this morning and the front seats a soaked! also thers a puddle behind the drivers seat!! :cry:
 ive checked the door seals and it looks like the water is running inside the seal??
any ideas?
cheers sean
« Last Edit: 08 January 2011, 14:28 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: Mk1 Golf Cab Leak - Help Please
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2011, 14:34 »

iv got a '89 gti cab, but went out 2 it this morning and the front seats a soaked! also thers a puddle behind the drivers seat!! :cry:
 ive checked the door seals and it looks like the water is running inside the seal??
any ideas?
cheers sean

Moved this for you... As said in one of your other posts, you may need to dry it out and give the car a good bit of hosing to see if you can spot any leaks.  If you are having issues with your doors, check that the membranes behind the door cards are still intact, also check that the drain holes at the bottom of the doors are clear.  My previous mk1 used to fill the footwells because these were blocked.

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2011, 15:24 »
the seats getting wet is probably coming thru where the roof seals attach to the roof, there is a metal runner the roof seal sits in, water can get thru between the runner and roof. a permanent fix is to remove seal and runner and use some tigerseal between runner and roof and refit seal. a temp fix is to run a bead of vasaline along the outside between roof and runner/seal.
as soundilusion said door membranes are likely cause of water in footwells

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline seano7015

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2011, 17:05 »
cheers guys!
if the weathers ok tomorrow im gunna get outside and have a gander to see if i can fix it!!!!
ile let u know how i get on!! :smiley:

Offline chalky white

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2011, 22:23 »
Leaking roof generally can mean that the Roof has gone porous.
Dependant on age.
The water seeps through the hood and collects inside the hood frame and finds it's way out by the roof latch handles.
There are some foam gasket seals that are under the actaul rubber seal retainers, some times changing these can help.
There also should be a bead of non setting mastic around the front screw hole of the front side retainers.
Also check that the side seals meet the front header seal at the front, you may need to tighten the J hooks slightly to pull the hood forward.
I had this problem and tried everything, the only solution that worked was to put a brand new roof on.
Nice dry seats now.
Agree though make sure the drainholes in the bottom of your doors are clear and also the scuttle drain holes.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2011, 23:39 »
cheers guys!
if the weathers ok tomorrow im gunna get outside and have a gander to see if i can fix it!!!!
ile let u know how i get on!! :smiley:

So how did you get on?

mogsmmm

« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2011, 18:46 »
Could be your windows...

Mine leaked. I adjusted the window winder stoppers, the window wasn't going up high enough to make a nice seal with the rubber strip on t'hood.

Get your door cards off and see if you can get those windows up any higher.

If all else fails get a car cover, i took mine everywhere, bagging up if it looked cloudy hehe.

Offline seano7015

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2011, 20:47 »
cheers for the advice guys!!
Having a bit of a mare really, i tightened the j hooks and it seemed to cure the problem, until i opened the roof to show of to my sons friends :laugh:!! and now i cant seem to stop it from chuffin leaking!! it seems to be just above the door seals. its actually dripping from inside the seals!!??!!??
i checked the drain holes at the bottom of the doors and these are ok, but i have noticed that water is coming in through the bottom door seal i.e where the window comes out from!! but the water goes straight outside!!
ive taken the door cards out to stop them from getting completely fooked!!!
im at the end of my teather now, dont really want to go down the route of replacing the hood!!!! been working on it for the last 2 weekends now and proper fed up!!!!
any more ideas??
cheers sean :cool:

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2011, 21:12 »
yep its the sealing strip between the seal holder and the roof. you will have to take off seal rubbers and unscrew the metal runner from the roof, get some tiger seal and run a generous amount along where the runner sits, spread it about a bit then refit runner and main seal, i did tell you this in my earlier post.
i had exactly the same problem, but if you want to ignore this piece of advice go right ahead and keep having a mare  :rolleyes:

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline seano7015

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2011, 21:28 »
yep its the sealing strip between the seal holder and the roof. you will have to take off seal rubbers and unscrew the metal runner from the roof, get some tiger seal and run a generous amount along where the runner sits, spread it about a bit then refit runner and main seal, i did tell you this in my earlier post.
i had exactly the same problem, but if you want to ignore this piece of advice go right ahead and keep having a mare  :rolleyes:
lol!!! cheers dude!! ive only just noticed your previous post!!! its a problem i have, i read half of something and forget everything else lol!!!  :rolleyes:
im such a retard sometimes! gunna give it a go on sunday let you know how i get on!!
sean :cool: