Author Topic: Change you tyres at 1.6mm??  (Read 1330 times)

Offline twogolfs

• Just got here
Change you tyres at 1.6mm??
« on: 08 August 2007, 08:06 »
Have a watch of video 2, video 1 basically says that they have taken 4 cars and will do 5 runs in each car on 1.6mm tread depth and 5 runs but this time on 3mm tread depth, then average out the results.

All test were conducted using the same cars, driver and in controlled environment at MIRA.

See the results, I always change mine at 3mm and you will see why:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featuresvideos/200827/video_200081/tyre_tread_safety_shock.html
Why twogolfs?  Have a wild guess....

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re: Change you tyres at 1.6mm??
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2007, 08:38 »
Makes you wonder why, on this basis, the government doesn't change the law.
I can remember back to when the legal limit was only 1mm.
1.6mm hasn't come far enough.
The government is always banging on about wanting to save lives, hence 'safety' cameras.
but if they actually wanted to save lives, they'd be looking at things like this.
Is not hard to see why people are sceptical about governments motives regarding saftey when they ignore something like this, but hammer people for a few mph indescrection. Why is that? Oh yes, because speeding generates them a nice little income.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2007, 08:44 »

1.6mm hasn't come far enough.
The government is always banging on about wanting to save lives, hence 'safety' cameras.
but if they actually wanted to save lives, they'd be looking at things like this.

totally agree with you there mate; i'll admit i ran mine down to the limit and it scared the living daylights out of me! car was unresponsive to my inputs and braking became a little hairy!

i remember watching 5th Gear a while back and they did a similar test; the differences between the limit and 2mm were large! think it was a few metres in braking distance!

Offline Britman

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2007, 21:34 »
i agree i remeber when my rears were below 1.6 on my seat ibza i ad some scary incidents on rounderbouts losing the back end, it does make a difference, but people prefer to save money rather than shell out for new rubber, shame part worns arnt any good ive heard bad thing about them on auto express and other sources there all old and dangerous well most of em

I must admit i do put of buying tyres, due to expence and not sure if keeping them car or not

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2007, 13:44 »
That Clio on 1.6mm still doing 50mph when the 3mm had stopped  :shocked:
The law definately needs changing!

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2007, 19:04 »
That realy is a eye opener  :shocked:

Offline tom26

• I live here
  • team chumpy.
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2007, 19:33 »
ha ha, don't think my tyres would stand a chance then if 1.6mm is considered to low?? :laugh:

Offline Tom H

• Here all the time
  • Previously board-stupid! :D
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2007, 08:13 »
Blimey that's a bit of a shocker! I usually let mine get right to the limit before I change them, maybe I'll think twice about that in future!

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2007, 09:09 »
ive never run my tyres as low as 3mm :shocked:
:)