Author Topic: Mk 6 R chain tensioner  (Read 4527 times)

Offline andykram

• I live here
Mk 6 R chain tensioner
« on: 26 August 2015, 09:21 »
Forgive my ignorance but does the Mk6 R suffer the same disastrous chain tensioner problem that the GTi does/did? I'm looking to perhaps change the wife's hairdresser BMW for one of these.

My GTi was a 2009 model so I'm well familiar with the problems these early ones had and that by 2012 even the GTi was sorted with numerous revised tensioners. I also had in mind that the R's engine is not the same one from what I recall reading on here. Confirmation one way or the other though would be much appreciated though.

Having said all that, this R is still £23.5k so I'm struggling to justify it at this price despite its being very well loaded with Dynaudio, DSG, Adaptive chassis, 510 and leather. 33k on the clock. Thoughts?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Mk 6 R chain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2015, 09:53 »
Not sure if the Mk6 R had the same timing chain issues.  But it has the EA113 engine and K04 turbo, opposed to the M6 GTI which has the EA888 engine and IHI turbo.  The Ed35 has the same engine as the R.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2015, 10:42 »
Yep, the EA113 is what I remember being the difference. And I don't recall reading anything about those engines going bang. Just wanted absolute confirmation before going any further with this R enquiry
I'm not going back to the "Russian Roulette" scenario I had with the GTi every time you switched the engine on waiting to see if it was going to go bang!!

Offline Gaz-M

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2015, 14:05 »
No the EA113 is the TFSI engine and has a timing belt not chain.

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2015, 15:01 »
Which presumably means they're a lot more robust?

Offline Gaz-M

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2015, 16:43 »
It means you dont need to worry about the timing chain tensioner..

Golf R is a TFSI with a belt, same engine as older S3, MK5 GTI Edition 30 etc.

Mk6 GTI is a TSI engine, which is chain driven and suffers from the tensioner failure.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2015, 10:56 »
Just listen out for squeak ing belt tensioner and rattling cam follower.
Also test the haldex actually works!
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2015, 23:02 »
Cheers for all the replies. In the end we've decided not to pursue the car. I just can't justify a £23k purchase on an obsolete 3 year old model, no matter how well specced it is. There are loads of Mk7 GTis out there now for that price and I can still PCP a Mk7 R for less than £400 a month.
I think we are going to wait til the new year and wait for the 40th anniversary model, take a look at that and make a decision then - it just seems the sensible thing to do.

Offline Gaz-M

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2015, 11:02 »
Or hope the R400 comes out  :laugh: