Author Topic: Clutch slave cylinder failed.  (Read 1155 times)

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
Clutch slave cylinder failed.
« on: 30 December 2023, 12:31 »
The Mrs went to use the golf this morning, and the clutch pedal went straight to the floor. On inspection the fluid in the reservoir is very low. I cannot see any leaks around the master cylinder in the car so it looks as if the slave cylinder has failed.

The car is standard and she doesn't plan to modify it, so what are the best options for a replacement clutch and slave? I know the slaves are a bit sh*te to say the least, so are there any upgraded ones which could be fitted?

Thanks in advance

Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: Clutch slave cylinder failed.
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2023, 17:15 »
That's a bugger as it's £££ labour for a £50 slave cylinder, gearbox out job.  :cry:

Not aware of any uprated slave cylinders.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2024, 13:54 »
It is a bugger. I am going to tackle the job myself, I haven't got the parts yet but have made a start taking it to bits before the rain started.

I am not very impressed with the quality of parts used on modern cars. If they are going to make them cheap from materials prone to fail they should at least make them easy to replace.

Apart from the ARB link bolts being hard to undo due to them spinning it hasn't been particularly difficult so far. I replaced the clutch and DMF on our aging Alfa Giulietta and that was much more of an involving task as half the suspension and subframe needed to come out.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2024, 12:09 »
Factory anti roll bar drop links should have a 6mm triple square to hold the joint as you undo.

I removed a box out of a Mk 6 GTI DSG the other week, took me by surprise the weight of it!!

I think you can take the inner cv cups off which gives you a bit more room to wiggle the box out, factory way is to drop the subframe IIRC.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2024, 13:01 »
Slave went on my wife’s Polo last year - I asked them to fit a new clutch at the same time as it made sense with the gearbox out, came to £700 so a diy approach makes sense if you have the tools and resources available.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2024, 15:11 »
There is a video on youtube from FCP euro which is very helpful. The subframe doesn't have to be removed but the engine does need moving backwards and forwards once the lower mount is undoe to remove the diff and to remove the box itself.

I wasn't aware that the drop links had a triple square inside, that might explain why the allen key was slipping. I do have a set and could have used them. Unfortunately due to light conditions and corrosion it was hard to tell what they were...
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2024, 16:55 »
If you can't tell what a bolt is, press your thumb into it and it'll leave an imprint on your skin so you can find the right one  :wink:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2024, 16:15 »
I am in the middle of getting this sorted. It is a bit of a ball ache of a job to be honest, and working out in the cold is no fun at all.

I have got the gearbox ready to come off, but the engine supprt bar which I ordered a week ago hasn't turned up and I cannot support the engine underneath due to the crappy plastic sump.

If it doesn't arrive today i have an old scaffold pole that I can use to fabricate something.

I don't like saying this, but it will be our last VAG car for quite a while. The last one I had (Mk4 Golf) was lots of hassle too and I was hoping things had improved hence why I bought this one. :(
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i