Author Topic: GTI Mk8 - Would you wait?  (Read 16590 times)

Offline SBC_UK

• Just got here
  • 7.5 GTI PP
Re: GTI Mk8 - Would you wait?
« Reply #40 on: 02 September 2018, 13:10 »
Hey guys.... just adding my two pence worth as a guy who has just ordered a new 5 dr 7.5 DSG PP.

Life's too short, the current PP is a fabulous car as it is today. Why wait?

Best guesstimates in the media for the Mk8 GTI in the UK is looking at mid 2020 earliest (maybe  :wink:).

Buying a 7.5 now doesn't make it any lesser of a car because a new one is coming out.... and right now the spec if probably the best it's ever been almost as standard out the box (although I have to admit I did add DCC/Dynaudio/Tints/Climate Windscreen).

The choice is personal of course but for me, I did A LOT of research prior to diving in with an order....and the other side of signing on the dotted line.....I'm a happy bunny.

In my opinion, go for it and enjoy. Worse case scenario, if it really bothers you on release, you have a 7.5 for 3 years, take the depreciation hit (or buy on PCP) and trade in for a new Mk8. Think of all the fun and good times you would have had in the meantime....rather than wait  :smiley:

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 02 September 2018, 14:08 »
I really do think that if the Mk7.5 ticks the boxes, you like the drive etc I wouldn’t wait for the mk8. Who knows how expensive it’ll be, what the reviews will be like , what equipment it will come with etc.

I know that my deal won’t be in line with a mk8 so I’d be looking at a TCR or an R.

It also depends in your point with finance. Timing is important. For some of us it’ll be great timing but not so good for others. While asking at Vw Manc I was told that you can extend your pcp by 3 months as long as you have a car on order. If timing is tight, that’s always an option.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #42 on: 13 September 2018, 13:02 »
Theres alot to be said for buying a car at the end of its production cycle rather than its first couple of years of manufacture. Most of the design and build issues will have being identified and rectified.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #43 on: 13 September 2018, 15:43 »
A bit like never fly the mark 1 of anything....

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #44 on: 13 September 2018, 17:23 »
A very likely this Mk8 will have a mild hybrid 48v powertrain.... thats brand new leading edge tech...

Expect the first MY to have teething problems....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #45 on: 13 September 2018, 21:52 »
A very likely this Mk8 will have a mild hybrid 48v powertrain.... thats brand new leading edge tech...

TBH, it's for that reason I'm considering holding off for a year. I think technology wise the Mk8 will be a big step forward. Maybe not all good, I'm not sure I like the idea of coasting. I was going to buy Mar 19 so could delay till Mar 20.
Hopefully, we'll get more info on it soon.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 13 September 2018, 22:58 »

....and missing fog lights....  :laugh:
7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 14 September 2018, 06:58 »

TBH, it's for that reason I'm considering holding off for a year. I think technology wise the Mk8 will be a big step forward. Maybe not all good, I'm not sure I like the idea of coasting. I was going to buy Mar 19 so could delay till Mar 20.
Hopefully, we'll get more info on it soon.
You can turn the coasting feature off, or you could on the Tiguan dsg box. I wouldn't let it stop you buying a car though.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #48 on: 14 September 2018, 17:04 »
Whatever new technology comes, it will be roughly the equivalent of everyone else's at that time anyway. There are always some OEM's that are a little behind the curve, but I'd expect to see most having similar stuff in 2019/20.

Its going to be a big leap forward and some if not all will have some major issues no doubt.

You won't really know what those are until you read about it on here.... and it might take a year before you've seen them all appear.

I'm going to need something new in July 2020, not sure what that will be or even what at that point was even orderable. I have a sneaking suspicion that things are going to mean it won't be a Mk8 GTI because its not available by then.

What do you think will have to Mk7.5 production once the first Mk8 (non-GTI) comes out? I suspect all 7.5 production will end.... they won't keep it going just for models they don't have a Mk8 for yet...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 14 September 2018, 18:51 »
What do you think will have to Mk7.5 production once the first Mk8 (non-GTI) comes out? I suspect all 7.5 production will end.... they won't keep it going just for models they don't have a Mk8 for yet...

I suspect all mk7.5 production will have stopped by the time mk8 production starts. That’s what happened when the mk7 was launched - VW didn’t continue producing performance versions of the mk6, until the mk7 performance versions started being built so I wouldn’t imagine it’ll be any different this time around.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl