Author Topic: Steering mode  (Read 5578 times)

Offline wooders2

• Just got here
Re: Steering mode
« Reply #20 on: 09 April 2018, 19:59 »
The lock's so bad on mine compared to my transporter I was wondering if they'd got that "two turns lock to lock" by simply reducing the length of the rack..  :grin: :evil:

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 10 April 2018, 10:17 »
Besides the self study book 317 which was linked to you need to read number 521 "The Golf GTI/GTD 2013".

This explains why the GTI/GTD/R steering rack is different to the one described in the book 317...

Basically the steering rack has two sets of grooved/teeth strips on the rack..one for each pinion...the steering pinon section on the "progressive" rack (GTI/GTD/R)  has standard straight teeth on the straight ahead section in the middle, but then either side it has angled teeth....which means the rack covers a greater distance for the same input...

So standard for 60deg either side of dead ahead....then basically you input turn 360deg either side from dead ahead & get full lock ..where as on standard rack you have to input 540deg either side to get full lock...

You also get a more powerful electric motor ...& on all MK7 it is a synchronous...not asynchronous...

That makes sense. I couldn’t see how the ratio of the rack could be changed by the mode setting. There has been times in comfort though that I’ve felt I’ve needed more lock🤔

I’m going to run it in comfort and normal for a while and compare it.

I’m sure the steering feels more natural in comfort compared to race.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #22 on: 10 April 2018, 13:38 »
Does the CSS have a comfort steering mode for some reason?  :huh:

CS only has two options: Normal and Sport (talking about steering options, not Drive profiles) so in Comfort drive profile (and basically in every profile minus Sport/Race) i guess it's using "Normal" steering?

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 10 April 2018, 14:45 »
Yeah the CSS has pre defined modes comfort sport/normal and race and individual

In individual you can change from comfort normal and race for steering, suspension, engine sound, diff and headlights and engine drive has either race or normal
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #24 on: 10 April 2018, 19:55 »
Ok that's weird. On the CS, in Individual mode, you can only set steering either to Normal or Sport. There are comfort options for Suspension and Drive but not for steering. Wonder why comfort steering would be an option on the CSS but not on the CS considering they are supposed to be the same system from what we know. Purely academic though as I don't think comfort steering would be my choice, Normal does the job well, prefer it to Sport as that's too heavy.