Author Topic: The Petrol vs Diesel debate  (Read 10010 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: The Petrol vs Diesel debate
« Reply #30 on: 24 January 2018, 18:47 »
I don't think anyone would doubt that a GTI would be MORE fun. Its just that at £100 a month ish extra for all the additional costs I would always be imagining what other fun I could have had for the same money...

I probably even would go so far as to say that with a better price point, I'd go down to a 150ps oil burning engine... if they bundled GTI/GTD equipment levels to a lesser engine'd vehicle.... and the resultant saving was another hundred quid... Doesn't work out like that though. To spec a GT or R line to GTD spec costs more than the GTD. Madness really, but I guess thats marketing for you.

Half the appeal of the GTD to me was the spec as much as the performance. It really is a very well loaded car with useful practical tech for the serious driver.

Agree there Fred, I think I tried spec'ing up an R Line to GTD and its far more expensive!

...and won't be worth as much at resale either.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2018, 21:57 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

dervy

« Reply #31 on: 24 January 2018, 21:45 »
I have owned a mk6 and a mk7 gtd keeping each for 4 years. There wasn’t a day when these cars didn’t put a smile on my face, but I live in central London where the mayor and  his acolytes don’t seem to care if your diesel is a dinosaur or a Euro 6. I decided to bite the bullet and go down the Petrol route after an 8 year hiatus. As another member wrote, on a day to day basis the GTD is all the car you’ll ever need, and more. I used man maths when changing to a mk 7.5 R in April and it’s a blast. My insurance dropped by £180 a year, with the same company, despite getting 3 points for speeding just before changing cars.  I got a very good part ex and a good discount. So far, so good - my fuel costs have doubled. I didn’t by an R for frugality, but as a private owner it certainly comes as a bit of a shock. Whilst I don’t travel at excessively high speeds the R sound does encourage rapid acceleration up to the speed limit. In the GTD my wallet didn’t hurt as much when I did this. When all is said and done, I love the R, but the GTD was a more sensible option even on my 10k miles per year. The R makes me smile more, except when filling up.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #32 on: 27 January 2018, 10:32 »
The GTD has done everything I wanted in terms of low tax and high mpg ( averaging nearly 46 ) but I'm concerned that our Government is getting anti derv and so the company car tax might get steep.

And that's exactly the point of the OP - you have become concerned because of non scientific based reporting, skewed by someone, when actually its a false message.

The 7.5 GTD is in a higher tax bracket than the 2014 7.

The difference between my 2014 GTD and my 2017 GTD in terms of CO2 is 109 vs 124. How did this happen? I asked and nobody could explain.... Probably something not publicly declared as fallout from the VW PR disaster.

Ok, so it'll cost me £70

Congratulations, you are filling the treasury.

Maybe I've just figured out what the demonization was actually about....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 28 January 2018, 00:04 »
Fantastic opening post Sootchucker  :cool:
All of this anti diesel hysteria has made me want to keep my car even more!. :evil:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #34 on: 28 January 2018, 09:26 »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #35 on: 12 February 2018, 09:16 »
After someone else mentioned it on here, here's an interesting article I'd not read before:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/road-cars/defence-diesel

Same conclusions as we've been making here though :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 12 February 2018, 10:31 »
Watch Dirty Money "Hard Nox" on Netflix, that will put you off ever buying a diesel, especially a VW one.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 12 February 2018, 13:49 »
The rumblings from dieselgate are far from over. If you go on the Porsche configurator to spec up a Macan diesel it gives a warning that some body is looking into the model and there may be a delay in delivery until the required specifications can be met. That should chase away most buyers unless they are very determined to buy a diesel.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #38 on: 12 February 2018, 21:47 »
I have never really understood the diesel in small cars thing. Why?

Trucks, SUVs, vans and agricultural machinery fine, but in a Golf?
No diesel hysteria as this has been my opinion for a long time. The term sootchuker has been around for a long time.

Loan car today from VW. An automatic diesel Scirocco. Diesel to save a few mpg and auto to waste a few mpg.

Hated it.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 12 February 2018, 22:03 »
Quite simple really, big vehicle or small car; diesel engine = more mpg & lower co2 = lower running costs.

I doubt many diesel drivers chose it because they thought they were helping save the planet, no matter what they say, but more because it saved them money.

It's expensive enough going to the petrol station every 10 days or so, but if I were driving a petrol car i'd be there twice a week.
7.5 GTD