Author Topic: Bodywork scrape and stonechips  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Bingham67

• Not said much yet
Bodywork scrape and stonechips
« on: 11 April 2015, 17:06 »
Not sure how it come about but i have ended up with a scrape down the side of my car just wondered where i could take it in the Hertfordshire area to get it repaired as i really have not got a clue who is good around here?

And secondly pesky stonechips i have just left it as they annoy me but i think finally i wish to get it repaired but again not really sure who is good to go to in my area.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Bodywork scrape and stonechips
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2015, 17:46 »
Its possible you might get some of that scratch out or at least make it a lot less obvious with a simple car machine polisher before you spend a lot more money getting it repaired.

As for your stone chips. Remember the chances are you'll get them repaired and then with a few weeks have some more back!
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2015, 18:03 »
I had a scuff like that on the bottom of my front bumper, I assume the chin of someone's front bumper just scraped by mine as it took a little of my top (lacquer) coat and left a little of it's own colour behind. 90% of it rubbed out with some magic "G3" polishing paste my nice neighbour gave me.

I found that all of my stone chips were suffered in the first 4 months, and none since - as if the car's paint had an extremely long curing time to get to full hardness/toughness.

Speaking of stonechips - anyone in need of a TR paint touch up set?My R will be here in 6 weeks, and so i'm assuming I will not be doing any more touch up. A token amount via Paypal to cover the postage is all I will require (or local Tyneside pick-up).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2015, 21:11 »
As above,  machine Polish will fetch most of that out.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline somersetred

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2015, 20:45 »
I've had mine a week now and have picked up loads of tiny stone chips on the front.  I'm worried about going for a touch up pen since I'm a bit cack handed at this kind if thing.  Is machine polishing something chips away do?  Is this worth considering in a few months time leaving the chips for the time being since from what monkey hanger says I'm likely to pick up a few more shortly.  Can you make a hash of it using a touch up pen?
GTI pp tornado red

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2015, 21:20 »
I've had mine a week now and have picked up loads of tiny stone chips on the front.  I'm worried about going for a touch up pen since I'm a bit cack handed at this kind if thing.  Is machine polishing something chips away do?  Is this worth considering in a few months time leaving the chips for the time being since from what monkey hanger says I'm likely to pick up a few more shortly.  Can you make a hash of it using a touch up pen?

Lacquer only chips are easily sorted. A quick clean-up of the scar with some 80% alcohol and then a few layers of alcohol thinned lacquer (put a large drop of paint into a pop-bottle lid and add a little of the 80% alcohol and mix then apply with a fine model paint brush) . Leave to harden for 24-48 hours and gently rub down flat with a 60% alcohol moistened lint-free cloth. Leave another few days and seal/wax. Patience is the key to a good finish. Don't be taking the excess off with 80% alcohol, it will be too aggressive and pull everything out of the chip you painted in.

I can do pretty much invisible chip fills this way if it's only lacquer deep. When you have to add in pigment layers to deep chips it gets a little trickier for perfection, but I can make it so that you have to closely scrutinise where the filling occurred to spot it. You get better with practice too. I find the touch-up pen's paint too thick to do a good job without thinning.

I definitely found paint chips a rare event when i'd had the car a while.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Bingham67

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2015, 21:36 »
Thanks for the information guys

Offline Bingham67

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2015, 19:53 »
Anyone heard of http://www.smarttouch.info/ found them on a Audi TT forum recommended but this was way back in 2013?

Offline GTDmike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2015, 12:26 »
Hi Bingham67
i have used this guy in Ampthill many times over the last few years he is first class and been in the trade for years.
Super Scuffs
Phil Haestier-07505 785896
He repaired a bad scuff on the front of my GTD and you can't see it one bit-great job and he will supply you with touchup paint after he has repaired.
Good Luck where ever you go to get repaired
Mike