Author Topic: Steering wheel vibration at 65 - 70mph  (Read 9345 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Steering wheel vibration at 65 - 70mph
« Reply #10 on: 02 January 2014, 12:45 »
Well Cardiff VW didn't fix the problem.  Back to the supplying dealer - Taunton.

They keep saying that the vibration is a characteristic of the sports suspension and the master tech says nothing is wrong with it (and would be happy if it was his car).  I disagree.

Anyone else got or had this issue?

Thanks

I've never experienced vibration through the steering on my GTD, so wouldn't agree with the dealer's diagnosis this is a characteristic of the sports suspension.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline sam_davies2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 02 January 2014, 13:03 »
I've asked them to change the wheels around i.e. front to rear. 

I'm at the dealer tomorrow, so lets see what happens.
2011 '61' Golf GTD DSG 5dr in Graphite Blue with leather, heated seats and bluetooth.

Offline sam_davies2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 04 January 2014, 17:27 »
Swapping the wheels around didn't work either. Thankfully I went out with the master tech and demonstrated the fault and then drove another GTD on the same route without an issue.

I think they're going to order new wheels and tyres now....bad news is another week without my newly purchased car. I do have a courtesy car but it's a 1.6 TDI BLUEMOTION Jetta.

I'm considering charging them for my time, mileage and bridge tolls when I collect as it'll be 3 trips of 140 miles each and 3 Severn bridge tolls......do you think they'll go for it?
2011 '61' Golf GTD DSG 5dr in Graphite Blue with leather, heated seats and bluetooth.

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 04 January 2014, 18:07 »
I'd say new wheels and tyres is a good result mind you no harm going for it
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline sam_davies2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 04 January 2014, 18:58 »
The old wheels were unmarked (refurbished when I bought the car) with new front tyres and 5mm left on the rear (all bridge stones)

I assume they'll put the wheels from the other GTD on first and test drive. If it solves it, we know the issue is either alloys or tyres....

Offline sam_davies2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 08 January 2014, 14:33 »
So they've swapped the wheels over and cannot re-create the issue.

Upon further investigation by VW Taunton, the issue seems to be with the front alloys - something to do with weight (wheel being under weight after re-furb).  New ones ordered.  Anyone know how much the standard GTD alloys retail at?

Hopefully I can test drive this Saturday and bring my car home - all being well.

If you have an issue I can recommend VW Taunton, the service has been great plus I got a courtesy car with no questions asked.

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2014, 19:52 »
That is a very out of the ordinary conclusion interesting none the less

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 21 April 2014, 08:26 »
The garage should have whipped all the wheels off the GTD you tested without problems and put them on yours before ordering new ones. That would have taken that out the equation.
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.