Author Topic: Manual Gearbox Stiff and Notchy?  (Read 18512 times)

Offline AlanH

• I live here
Re: Manual Gearbox Stiff and Notchy?
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2012, 18:41 »
With my first GTD, the gear change was smooth as silk. On the current GTD (delivered end November last year) the gear change is much more "notchy" even when warmed up. Worst is probably from 2nd to 3rd.

Interesting, how many miles on the first GTD.  Mine is really getting to the point where you do feel that you are the spaz and cant drive.  When -10 temps it was barely movable.  I just wonder what a -20 gearbox would be like.  Although I cant remember it being so bad last year when it was -18.  It is getting worse.

First GTD was sold with around 45,000 on the clock. I'm wondering if the problem lies with the gear stick/gate rather than the gearbox. I did have a similar issue with a Mk5 GTi and a replacement gear stick solved the problem.

Mk7 GTD | 3-door, Carbon Grey, Keyless, Dynaudio, Pano roof.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2012, 23:22 »
With my first GTD, the gear change was smooth as silk. On the current GTD (delivered end November last year) the gear change is much more "notchy" even when warmed up. Worst is probably from 2nd to 3rd.

Interesting, how many miles on the first GTD.  Mine is really getting to the point where you do feel that you are the spaz and cant drive.  When -10 temps it was barely movable.  I just wonder what a -20 gearbox would be like.  Although I cant remember it being so bad last year when it was -18.  It is getting worse.

First GTD was sold with around 45,000 on the clock. I'm wondering if the problem lies with the gear stick/gate rather than the gearbox. I did have a similar issue with a Mk5 GTi and a replacement gear stick solved the problem.

Sounds like its worth complaining about anyway.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Mr_F

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2012, 12:31 »
No problem only the Clutch pedal pulsating/vibrating still.

I can feel the pulsating if I press the pedal about 2cms or so down.  I figured thats just the flywheel pulsing.

True but why do they add this annoying feature as the DMF is supposed to reduce torsional vibration not make it worse. If I had felt this on the test driver I wouldn't have ordered one.

Keith, I replicated this on mine today with the 2cm mentioned above, do you only get it when you depress and hold at 2cm? or do you get it everytime you put your foot on the clutch?
61 Plate GTD 5dr, Shadow Blue, 18" Charleston's, Flat Tyre Indicator, Cruise Control, Bi-xenon (With Dynamic Curve), Storage Pack, Winter Pack and RCD 510.

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2012, 12:55 »
Keith, I replicated this on mine today with the 2cm mentioned above, do you only get it when you depress and hold at 2cm? or do you get it everytime you put your foot on the clutch?

You just rest you foot on the pedal to feel it and you can still feel it as you press it 2cm, after that it disappears.

Last year when I went back to have the didital gear indicator enabled I asked them again and I wanted to feel this on a new GTD. We found one in the car park and that pulsated but not as much as mine. So to me its a sh**ty fault with the DMF.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline DDg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2012, 14:51 »
I'm not sure it's the Dual Mass Flywheel, Keith & ajmoir. My 140 exhibits the 'pulsing' as did my old Mk3 90bhp and I don't think that had a DMF (though I'm happy to be corrected).
« Last Edit: 14 February 2012, 19:46 by DDg »

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 11 October 2012, 22:01 »
It's getting more notchy again now the cold weather is creeping in.  :cry: Interestingly they mention it here too http://cars.uk.msn.com/reviews/volkswagen-golf-gtd-month-three
« Last Edit: 11 October 2012, 22:03 by ajmoir36 »
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 01 March 2014, 17:52 »
2nd to 3rd in mine is awful trying to find 3rd is pot luck sumtimes

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 02 March 2014, 08:07 »
I have 65k on the clock now and in the cold the 1st to 2nd throw is really bad, 2nd to 3rd is just not as bad but I even get notchyness from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th. Once you have covered a good few miles it gets a bit better. Sometimes I think its the clutch that isn't engaging properly. But mine has done it for most of its life.

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #18 on: 02 March 2014, 12:38 »
I have 65k on the clock now and in the cold the 1st to 2nd throw is really bad, 2nd to 3rd is just not as bad but I even get notchyness from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th. Once you have covered a good few miles it gets a bit better. Sometimes I think its the clutch that isn't engaging properly. But mine has done it for most of its life.

Had problems with my Golf, not as bad as yours seem to be, but 2nd to 3rd was a bit hit or miss occasionally. Mine has only done 12k so definitely not wear. I fitted the Neuspeed torque Arm Insert, this cured the problem.

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/vw/golfmk6/f/subpart/Bushes,Mounts

Worth a try at £36

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 02 March 2014, 13:27 »
 Unfortunately not for the tdi.