Author Topic: Worrying noise coming from mid/bottom of engine!!  (Read 2406 times)

Offline al_bey

• GTI forum regular
Worrying noise coming from mid/bottom of engine!!
« on: 03 August 2010, 11:24 »
Hi all,

My car has started to make a kind of rattling noise coming from the main block of the engine, im not sure if its coming from the bottom or the top, i have recorded a sound clip with the sound recorder right next to the block. The water pump bearing is rusty and has been for a while, but it is a different noise to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PRp7E2YVsc

Can people tell anything from this, i can record a video later tonight if that helps.......
Im expecting the worst though. How hard is it to take the full sump off the bottom and check the bottom end? Has anyone done this?
The car doesnt smoke at all and still drives fine.......

Thanks in advance

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Worrying noise coming from mid/bottom of engine!!
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2010, 11:36 »
get something long made of metal, such as a screwdriver. press 1 end to your ear (blunt end obviously :grin:) and the other to various areas of the engine till you locate the source of the noise
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2010, 12:08 »
get something long made of metal, such as a screwdriver. press 1 end to your ear (blunt end obviously :grin:) and the other to various areas of the engine till you locate the source of the noise

Then just wait for the fan to kick in !! Does the noise appear to be from inside the block or something outside of the block ??

Offline al_bey

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2010, 13:34 »
Right, i have just done the screw driver trick..........
There seems to be a lot of noise coming from behind the alternator, i think it is the water pump, where i said there was noise from a bearing before, i think it was the PAS bearing. This noise is ridiculously loud near the water pump. I'm not quite sure what the bottom and top end should sound like through the screwdriver, but it doesnt sound bad.
Here is a video of me putting the screwdriver against the noisy part......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am6TLTJHrDk

Here is a picture of where i think it is coming from......

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2010, 13:54 »
can you see the waterpump pulley, if it wiggles about thats a clue. if not take the belt off and spin the waterpump and alternator by hand, if either feel rough and/or make bad noises then its time to replace them.

if you need a new waterpump get a new stat and seal, might be an idea to replace the flange too as they like to warp
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Stirring Moose

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2010, 23:18 »
Water pump can sound pretty dire if it's about to cry enough. When I started getting noises I traced it to the pump by first taking the P/S belt off and running the engine - still had noise hence P/S pump out of the equation. Then unhooked the water pump/alternator belt and ran the motor again (only briefly as no water circulating). Noise had gone so fears of impending catastrophic engine failure set aside (at least until next time...). Then knocked alternator out by giving it a spin by hand as described by rubjonny. All nice and smooth hence the water pump must be guilty!

S.M.
Love and hate, war and peace, joy and sadness... all just crap that happens between trackdays!

Offline al_bey

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2010, 23:11 »
Thanks for the help guys, im going to do those exact things on friday. (Day Off). Not driving the car until checked all of those just to be safe, i will post my results to help others.....

Cheers

Offline al_bey

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2010, 23:29 »
Water pump can sound pretty dire if it's about to cry enough. When I started getting noises I traced it to the pump by first taking the P/S belt off and running the engine - still had noise hence P/S pump out of the equation. Then unhooked the water pump/alternator belt and ran the motor again (only briefly as no water circulating). Noise had gone so fears of impending catastrophic engine failure set aside (at least until next time...). Then knocked alternator out by giving it a spin by hand as described by rubjonny. All nice and smooth hence the water pump must be guilty!

S.M.

Did these things in the same order and have narrowed it down to the water pump ...... Does the new water pump come with a the pulley on it, im not quite sure how this connects into the waterpump, is it all just one unit?

The PAS Pulley is noisy as well but is not causing the horrible sound that has developed but i might do it at the same time.

I think this is all due to the splash guard missing from that area of the car, whenever its wet, that area gets soaked....

Has anyone else found it bloody hard to get the belt off the alternator? I think the belt on it is a bit too tight or something, even with the spring underneath the alternator fully pushed in, it was nearly impossible to get the belt off?

Cheers

Offline mumbles

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2010, 02:49 »
Exact same thing has just happened to my car. will go and check water pump tomorrow. :cool:
Wouldn't be fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?

Audi A4 Sport

Offline Winso

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2010, 14:16 »
My waterpump started going and sounded like death too.