Author Topic: Integra Type R - Golf GTI Mk3!  (Read 3380 times)

Offline RC

• Just got here
Integra Type R - Golf GTI Mk3!
« on: 04 August 2003, 19:11 »
Hey folks... my first post here and i was wondering if you guys could help.

Basically as the above title says ive currently got a stunning Integra Type R, but due to house purchase i need to get a cheaper motor.  Always wanted a Golf Gti and now seems to be the time.

Ive basically got ?5k to fund an R plate gti 16v (needs to be R plate as i have a private plate on it - yes it is the dumbest reason in the world) and looking about on autotrader it seems to be more then possible.

Now i know ill lose a shed load of performance between the 2 cars, but how can i boost the bhp without spending a fortune??  Is it the usual air filter, exhaust and new cams route?

Figure lowering it and adding front and rear strut bars should tidy up the handling a bit.

Be grateful for any help!

Cheers.

Offline adyh

• I live here
Re:Integra Type R - Golf GTI Mk3!
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2003, 08:47 »
Thats about it , dunno about the struts there is a school of thought that cos the car is quite solid anyway they dont make any difference

mowgli

« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2003, 09:28 »
I have read in http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/home/index.htm that the 3 door shell is prone to flexing whereas the 5 door shell is more sturdy, therefore, the strut bars may help tighten up the shell.

However, if you buy a car with aircon, it shouldn't have a sunroof (??) and this should also help stiffen the chassis due to there not being a huge hole in the roof.  Does this make any sense, i'm not a structural engineer but it seems to make sense to me...

Offline RC

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2003, 12:16 »
Does make sense.. by cutting a bloody great big hole in the roof the strutural rigidity of the car is affected ... 99& of fast machines are not even offered with a sunroof option as it does affect the way a car corners.

Probably would be looking at the 3 door as its a bit more sporty looking, so would def go for the front strut bar, not too sure about the rear bar though now ive done a bit of research.

Offline stoat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2003, 15:45 »
Mk3 golf with air con do some times come with a sun roof.  There is no point having a strut brace on a mk3 as it is such a strong car until you have it lowered then it makes the difference
MK3 GTI 8V

i-espedair

« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2003, 18:14 »
I have a mk3 3 dr. I have a strut brace and lowered PSS coilovers. Tis very nice setup for around the ?700 mark. Makes alot of difference or did on mine anyway.

However...

There is a counter argument which i didn't consider until after i had done mine, which may have made me reconsider.

My mate had the same car, same set up. We did em at the same time. Of course we all know we are the best drivers in the world and like my mate we thought we would never hurt either of the beautifull machines we had created! Then one day... accidents do happen... My mate drives his into a telegraph pole at 25mph while adjusting the stereo. He's not goin that fast and this would have caused alot of damage to the offside wing but nothing irrepairable. BUT, because the car was as stiff as an iron bar the car was totalled.

VW don't build their cars with strut braces for a very good reason. They eliminate the crumple zones almost entirely. It my mates example all the force of the 25mph crash went up the sides of the car and folded the roof in. You have never seen anything like it.

Of course it goes without saying. My car is still the same set up and this will never happen to me, but it goes to show accidents do happen and i would have never thought of the difference stiffening up your car would make in an accident situation.

Offline MK1_BOY

• Here all the time
  • Low Low bored out MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2003, 21:27 »
Your'll never et the same performance mate.... Gutted..
Race ya...

Offline stoat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2003, 10:38 »
Some of us can afford newer cars so we get them with all their mod cons :P
MK3 GTI 8V

Offline sherbert

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2003, 18:07 »
if you get a 16v with air con make sure it bloody works!! i didnt and now im paying...........in sweat!!!!

mk3 gti 16v silver dream machine (Now has nice wheels :) )

Offline sherbert

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2003, 20:58 »
hope thats not sarcasm golfvr6?!?!

mk3 gti 16v silver dream machine (Now has nice wheels :) )