Author Topic: DSG controls behind steering wheel  (Read 968 times)

Offline jon87

• Not said much yet
DSG controls behind steering wheel
« on: 21 September 2023, 08:39 »
How does everyone feel about VW moving the DSG controls to a stalk behind the steering wheel?

They've made that move on the new Passat and Tiguan. Not sure how I'd feel about it there for the 8.5 GTI. I know Mercedes have that approach but haven't experienced it myself.

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
Re: DSG controls behind steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2023, 08:59 »
Not keen on the idea myself , but I guess you would get used to it.  Although I drove my sister in laws Mercedes A250 while in Australia earlier this year and kept on using the gear selector as an indicator 🤔😬

Offline DSGboy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2023, 11:22 »
I would not be surprised if this appears on the 8.5.   Not mad keen personally, but change comes along regardless. It will take a little getting used to I’m sure, a bit like electronic park brake, hill hold etc.

I can foresee some of our , er, very senior population having the odd problem….so watch with 360 vision when you’re in navigating your local supermarket car park.   And park your new treasure strategically?
Gone. Mk6 GTI DSG, 2012 ,5dr , DPB, 18’s, Leather, Dynaudio, Cruise, DAB, Auto Mirrors, Storage Pack, TPMS.
Current. Mk7.5 R DSG, 2019, 5dr, DPB,  Pretorias, Leather, Memory Seat,  Climate Screen, Rear Camera, Black Caps

Offline jon87

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2023, 12:42 »
I'm not keen either, but will still likely get the 8.5.

The issue I have is I drive my mum's Polo quite a bit too as a second car as she hardly drives it, but driving one car with a DSG lever and another with DSG stalk every week will get confusing!   :undecided:

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2023, 13:13 »
I think you’d very quickly get used to it.

I’ve driven autos with a column selector and didn’t have any issues. My current car has DSG and when it was recently serviced, the courtesy car I had for the day was a manual - I didn’t have any problems switching from one to the other.

As @gavinl1967 has pointed out, the only issue might be initially confusing the gear selector with the indicator stalk. I’m old enough to remember when UK cars had the indicator stalk on the right hand side of the steering column (my first car did) and when I bought my next car it had the indicator stalk on the left; there were a few times initially where I switched the wipers on to indicate :grin: but IMHO you very quickly get used to the different layout.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2023, 17:47 »
Before my time in the merc, I’d have hated it, but it’s surprisingly easy to use and using it for maneuvering is if anything slightly quicker and easier than having the centre console selector, and it free the centre console up to use for other things. Would I still rather have a mk7/7.5 style gear stick? Yes, absolutely! But compared to the nubbin we have now, I think I’d rather have a selector stalk. For those saying it’s confusing shifting between the 2, my missus has a ford with a gear stick style selector and my merc has the stalk. Took about a week to get used to it when she first got her car, but now it’s easy enough.
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2023, 20:51 »
I’m sure I’d get used to it in time but really not a fan of that at all.
More cost cutting.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner